COMPLETE CYCLIST BIKE SHOP (FOURWAYS)

Lucky Fish

Last week, while collecting our start numbers for the Gauteng Champs, we decided to visit this bike shop after we saw an advert on the wed (The Hub, nogal, if I am not mistaken). We were met by Mike who was quite knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My wife asked about a bike setup and he indicated that they do professional setups. An outside person is contracted to come to their premises to do the actual setup. An appointment was then made for my wife to come in at 10h00 on the 2nd of September (today) for the work.

She rescheduled appointments, loaded her bike into her car, dressed in her cycling gear, got there at 10h00 only to be told that nothing has been arranged. She had to walk away empty handed.

In my opinion, for a bike shop that has just started out, and promised the earth, this is a poor performance. Their advertising material indicates: 'Your passion for cycling is our business.' I don't think they lived up to their promise.

Very poor form. Considering the number of cycling retail stores that closed down in the recent past, to keep your doors open in this economic climate, you have to do something exceptional. Not to mention getting the basics right!

I phoned around for a QR skewer for my front wheel on Friday. Eventually found one that was not made from Unobtanium at Cyclesphere in Morningside. Rode there after my club ride on Saturday morning only to find that the skewer I'd been quoted was out of stock. They then looked all over the workshop and found an American Classic QR which they sold me at a fraction of the price quoted over the phone. Despite the initial "ah man!" feeling I had when told about the out of stock situation, they met their part of the deal - and then some.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ah the hub (andrewc ....) burn at the stake immediately as usual .... just maybe both sides of the story would be useful? Oh no but sorry we don't do that here :angry:

Did the people at the shop make any attempt to make up for it?

I sent an e-mail to them directing them to this post and got the following out of office reply:

"Good day,

I am away from the 9th April - 11th April 2009. If you need anything, please contact Gert on 086 111 4470 (Ext. 2071) or Gert@complete-cyclist.com

I will attend to your email on Tuesday 7th September.

Kind regards,

Mike Hewan

Complete Cyclist Concept Store"

Ah the hub (andrewc ....) burn at the stake immediately as usual .... just maybe both sides of the story would be useful? Oh no but sorry we don't do that here :angry:

I understand that one of the peeps from the shop would like to reply, but is having hassles with his hub account.

I sent an e-mail to them directing them to this post and got the following out of office reply:

"Good day,

I am away from the 9th April - 11th April 2009. If you need anything, please contact Gert on 086 111 4470 (Ext. 2071) or Gert@complete-cyclist.com

I will attend to your email on Tuesday 7th September.

Kind regards,

Mike Hewan

Complete Cyclist Concept Store"

Sorry, what I meant to ask was, did the people at the shop offer to rectify the problem?

Bike set up is not that difficult that you need an outside professional to do it. Any bike shop worth its salt should be able to it themselves.

Be that as it may, mistakes do happen.

I have no reason to consider what the OP said to be a fabrication. I was merely commenting that the story - as presented - represents poor form. Of course, I could preface every comment I make with a disclaimer that it is based upon the facts that are presented, but that would be silly.

I've not called for a boycott of the shop or reporting them to the local newspaper, so why all the anger?

The shop may have been let down by their sub-supplier - but then a call first thing in the morning to check that the supplier is still coming and a courtesy call to the client to let them know there's a problem would be expected.

However, I don't want to get into a fit of conjecture. I'm interested to hear what the shop has to say once they're online. If apologies are in order, so be it.

Cheers,

Andrew

so have you forwarded it to Gert? and did they not apologise or anything to your wife while she was there?

Yes, I have forwarded it to Gert. He has since responded by e-mail.

I quote: Hi Johan.

I am really sorry for this.

It was my mistake and would like to apologise for this.

I neglected to get back to you and Rene to let you know that the setup was not possible as the person doing our setups is out of the country.

I would hereby like to offer that if possible that I ask Hanco from Cyclefit to come to your house to do the setup.

We will pay for the setup.

Please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Gert Janse van Rensburg"

I shall be in contact with Gert regarding the setup. I must also commend the company on their response to the error. Errors do occur - in business it is how you deal with it that makes the difference. I shall keep The Hub posted on the matter.

I have no reason to consider what the OP said to be a fabrication. I was merely commenting that the story - as presented - represents poor form. Of course, I could preface every comment I make with a disclaimer that it is based upon the facts that are presented, but that would be silly.

I've not called for a boycott of the shop or reporting them to the local newspaper, so why all the anger?

The shop may have been let down by their sub-supplier - but then a call first thing in the morning to check that the supplier is still coming and a courtesy call to the client to let them know there's a problem would be expected.

However, I don't want to get into a fit of conjecture. I'm interested to hear what the shop has to say once they're online. If apologies are in order, so be it.

Cheers,

Andrew

No anger dude, just an 'observation' how the hub operates lately ...... :huh:

Yes, I have forwarded it to Gert. He has since responded by e-mail.

I quote: Hi Johan.

I am really sorry for this.

It was my mistake and would like to apologise for this.

I neglected to get back to you and Rene to let you know that the setup was not possible as the person doing our setups is out of the country.

I would hereby like to offer that if possible that I ask Hanco from Cyclefit to come to your house to do the setup.

We will pay for the setup.

Please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Gert Janse van Rensburg"

I shall be in contact with Gert regarding the setup. I must also commend the company on their response to the error. Errors do occur - in business it is how you deal with it that makes the difference. I shall keep The Hub posted on the matter.

Hi Johan.

I was having trouble to getting logged in on our CompleteCyclist account.

So Im using my personal account.

Im in the process of organizing the setup and will get back to you as soon as i get an answer from Hanco.

Regards

Gert

No anger dude, just an 'observation' how the hub operates lately ...... :huh:

It's all good.

Participating on online forums can be a very tricky business. I'm starting to think that I don't have the time or energy to practice getting it right. I should stick with lurking and spend more time on my bicycle :)

Cheers,

Andrew