Buying 2nd hand Carbon Bikes/ Frames

Caerus

Is this a good idea, Im always a little sceptical as to wheather it has been in a crash or there is fatigue in the frame. How can u be sure? :unsure:

Easy to fix carbon beautifully... not so easy to fix a broken aluminium frame...

Really, even cracks in middle of a tube? What if there is stress/fatigue/crack you cant see? Then while riding the bike falls apart, can this happen? I would have thought that carbon frames would never have the longevity of an Ali frame?

If it can happen to carbon it can happen to allu.

I own two second hand carbon frames. road and mtb

Your choice, but if I can save many thousands by going second hand I'll take it

If it can happen to carbon it can happen to allu.

I own two second hand carbon frames. road and mtb

Your choice, but if I can save many thousands by going second hand I'll take it

Thats what Im thinking, I could only really afford to go the 2nd hand route. Just hesitant though, it like buying a car and not knowing it been in a crash cause the cover up is so good. So you would say go for it then, are there things too look out for?

Really, even cracks in middle of a tube? What if there is stress/fatigue/crack you cant see? Then while riding the bike falls apart, can this happen? I would have thought that carbon frames would never have the longevity of an Ali frame?

Effective faitgue life depends more on the design than the material - it's possible to design an aluminium frame with a fatigue life greater than a carbon one and vice versa. In general, though, carbon-epoxy composites can withstand significantly more load cycles than aluminium when subjected to the same stresses.

I suspect it's no harder or easier to spot an incipient crack on a carbon frame than on an alu frame and, once that crack reaches a critical length, failure will be as quick for either material.

I would have no problems buying a secondhand carbon frame if I can't find any visible cracks on it.

Just do a good visual inspection and if you still worried do what Giant suggests & get the frame x-rayed.

Wow, didnt think about that one - Where down my local hospital? They are on strike though. ;)

It also helps a bit if you have an idea from who you're buying it from.

My roadbike I bought from nochain, who rides for cyclelab sub-vet I think

MTB frame I got from TarmacGT-SL3

It also helps a bit if you have an idea from who you're buying it from.

My roadbike I bought from nochain, who rides for cyclelab sub-vet I think

MTB frame I got from TarmacGT-SL3

Good point :)

Wow, didnt think about that one - Where down my local hospital? They are on strike though. ;)

Don't know if hospitals will be too keen to x-ray your bike.

I know of somebody who took theirs to a vet after a fall.

Vet's are probably more accommodating.