Conti Mountain King tyres any good?

Stig

I'm running conti mountain king/race king combo 2.2 on my S Works Stumpie.

I found that on several occasions the front tyre has washed or let go in corners.

I ran Maxxis monorails before and never had this happen!

I'm running same pressures as always approx 2.3 bar.

I do notice that the tread pattern on the edge of the conti's is large but sparsely spaced knobs, could this lead to washing in corners?

I run the same combo, but 2.4 Mountain King at the front. I don't have grips issues with the front being a 2.4, but have read it before about them in reviews. There are completely new mountain kings out overseas now that is supposed to resolve that.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/cross_country/MountainKingII/MountainKing_en.html

There is also a new X king being an allrounder

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/XKing/XKing_en.html

Maybe reduce your pressure. 2.3 is quite a lot for the front (in my personal opinion)

The Conti's are quite soft tyres.

I quite like them, but find them a little delicate (compared to Nevegals)

have you tried dropping your pressure a bit 2.3 seems very high to me, i used to run mountain kings all round at 1.8 bar any never had an issue with the front washing out. i did however have alot of problems with punctures over rocky terrain so ive changed back to maxxis

I hate them - put some on for Sani2c, managed about 8km and ripped them off. For a relatively large knobblie they just offer no grip. Plus they make all almighty racket on any surface expect sand.

Ironically I love the Race Kings - smooth rolling, just enough grip in the corners - rode them front and back in this years very wet Sani2c and had no hassles.

Don't know what went on in Conti's head when they made the mtn king.

Anybody want to buy a pair of 29x2.4 mtn kings? :-)

For you - R200 each. Done 8km he he he.

I'm running conti mountain king/race king combo 2.2 on my S Works Stumpie.

I found that on several occasions the front tyre has washed or let go in corners.

I ran Maxxis monorails before and never had this happen!

I'm running same pressures as always approx 2.3 bar.

I do notice that the tread pattern on the edge of the conti's is large but sparsely spaced knobs, could this lead to washing in corners?

Why did you change from the Monorails?

I have to admit that I am a Mountain king hater. They have "too much" grip, causing me to oversteer. Then they suddenly loose their grip and spits you into the weeds. I tried the 2.2. And NO, I am not trying the 2.4. $$$

Give me my Monorail. Not a super gripper in corners, but a predictable slide.

Race king at the rear is fine.

Tires are a personal thing. Look at www.mtbr.com. There is a thread on the most hated tires. Amazing how opinions differ.