Girlfriends Bike ......

Frosty Ice

Okay so the Gals got a old trashy bike thats heavy and not very awesome. Say ten years old with shocks not worth having and ridiculously hard to shift gears. I made the "mistake" of swapping for a ride and we were both very supprised. So I need a plan here...

Now, she is still starting out so theres no need to spend 10 000, but if I was to up grade what would you start with?

Shock

Shifters and 9 speed casset?

or is it best to buy a new bike....

or a second hand hub one

The chances are she will take things up more seriously in the months to come

Quite a strong paddler, climber, runner etc so theres hope!

If she`s short - try a Womans specific like GT/Merida/Spec/Trek.

Otherwise maybe look at something with a non-race geomitry.

Ladies dont appreciate sloppy seconds as much as a bright & shiny.

Second hand will make her happy - new, she will show her appreciation in other ways!

Trust uncle Vinny on this one!

mtb is where the difference in wsd and "mens" bikes is even more obvious - before you consider buying wsd first compare the same priced mens' version of the same manufacturer and you'll see that the men's one will have much beeter components etc for same price. then decide if you want to pay for a girly paint job, or would rather (seeing as she is clearly an athlete) buy her a decent bike with decent components.

vinny does have it right though that new is better, so see what the best NEW bike you can afford is - frame and wheels being the most nb. as she get's hooked you can do the upgrade thing - bars, components etc.

Start by replacing the cables on that bike. The gears will feal like magic again. Even the cheapest Shimano stuff shifts like a dream so there's no excuse for hard-to-shift gears. Then, service the shock, hubs and headset. This way, mechanical failure during the critical intiation period wont put her off cycling.

Worry about another/new bike only once she has entered a few races and can do better if she has a better bike.

Start by replacing the cables on that bike. The gears will feal like magic again. Even the cheapest Shimano stuff shifts like a dream so there's no excuse for hard-to-shift gears. Then, service the shock, hubs and headset. This way, mechanical failure during the critical intiation period wont put her off cycling.

Worry about another/new bike only once she has entered a few races and can do better if she has a better bike.

That's the sensible thing to do, but sensible aint gonna get you some rumpy pumpy....

I would consider a Silverback Saturn. Its 8 speed with shocks and discs. Probably costs about R4400.

My LBS recommended it for my girlfriend she has had no complaints in 7 months. Now for a woman that is pretty good....

My only observation is that is is not the lightest bike, but then that is comparing to bikes double the price.

And yes.... they do appreciate new and shiny.... ;)

I used to think buy a cheap bike and see if she likes it, but now i'm more convinced that a better bike would be more enjoyable and she would be more like to stay in the sport. So i kinda think she has shown a real interest already, buy her the best which is financially feasible...

Okay so lets narrow this down then

Giant Alias? Yes

Reasonable shocks, disks etc, 4000

definitely an option, but just look at all the bikes in your price range and choose the best frame and wheelset as those will have the biggest impact at this stage

Giant alias not a bad choice also phone a couple of bike shops some amazing specials on silverback 2010 stock.

Just make sure your frame is disc ready if it comes with V brakes otherwise you will eventually scrap the bike to get one that can take discs.

If possible avoid mechanical disks.

From a ladie's point of view...

You know of course that the more you spend the more she will think you love her, right?

You also know that a lady (with her first bike) does not care what components it has, as long as it is the right colour and makes her look good. Until she goes on her first very rocky, very steep single track down hill of course...

I have a ladies specific Specialized! Best thing since the invention of a hairdryer!

Agree with one of the other posts, if she is petite, get her a ladies specific.

tinkerbell, i'm 1.5 and a girl and i wear pink and i have long hair and long nails - ie i'm a G I R L and proud of it. A heavy bike (which any low-mid level wsd bike is GUARANTEED to be) is NOT fun. and hten you get tired and you have a heavy bike to pedal uphil. then you can't pedal anymore so you wnat to push it and it's 16kg of dead weight. the lighter the better - hence a good frame and decent wheels are what will matter. the rest can be upgraded later when she's more into the whole mtb thing