Girlfriends Bike ......

Frosty Ice

no, its about R16 000

so if she has 10 and he helps with 6, she won't have up upgrade or push a bike for a very long time!

2cents.

We all hate Cajees... BUT!

They have an 09 Scott Contessa(that means ladies) Spark 25 for R11500

Not under 10 either BUT that is a LOT of bike for that money and it weighs in at about 11.5kg!!!

This is it:

post-9143-036812800 1283519999.jpg

It's at the Centurion branch if you want to go have a look.

Start by replacing the cables ...

Worry about another/new bike only once she has entered a few races and can do better if she has a better bike.

I agree. It's the one thing people hardly ever service. They will gladly pay R1000 for a new derailleur when shifting becomes difficult, but won't spend R100 on new cables (which is actually the problem).

I'd recommend new cables, some cleaning of parts and, as JB said, hubs etc...

I saw The Serfas XCR3 add in new ride mag.

Serfas

Al lot of kit for R7999.

Includes tubeless tyres and Stans.

Not WS but I think a lot of kit for price.

Has anybody seen these bikes?

post-4407-071866400 1283521839.jpg

post-4407-015924200 1283522015.jpg

Tinkerbell, that bike is really nice. Specialized has dropped their prices on the FSRs significantly so one of the lower specced bikes could be under R20000...I'm just speculating here but looking at all the bike reviews in various magazines that's the impression I got. Also I am not sure whether the fact that it's a Safire might influence the price. I just know that one day when I am over the race thing and would ride just for the pleasure of it, I will be on one of these.

It was also the only women's bike that I enjoyed riding (even if it was for like 3km).

I am now on my second MTB (which I was extremely fortunate to get over Christmas) and the first one was definately a "male" bike. I never had any complaints about it. I upgraded it after 6 months with the help of a very generous friend. I changed the wheels, went up to 9 gears and upgraded my brakes. Rode like that for quite a while until the wheels basicaly had no braking surface.

One upgrade that I absolutely loved was going to disk brakes - just keep in mind you'll need disk compatible wheels.

Shame on me for saying this but I could never see difference in the fork I am riding with. I now have a top of the range Sid and can barely feel a difference. It could be for different reasons - like I ride at sissy places or something. I rode my cheapie fork until the stancheons wore away.

The new bike is a 15" and is absolutely tiny. I feel very very comfortable on it. And to top it off I absolutely love the way it looks [:)]

I would recommend going SRAM. I think sloppy gears was my most serious complaint before this bike. I know I am going to have gazillion people telling me how Shimano is great and they haven't had a problem but.....just try it. You won't go back.

So being a girl that rides a MTB occasionally....my necesseties are: disk brakes, decent gear changing.

You can start by upgrading things bit by bit on the old frame - that's what I did and have not been sorry. I am still riding a pair of wheels that I got second hand and they are nothing fancy. One day in the near future I will be looking into replacing them.