Heart rate monitors and training

Hey Guys

Im going to buy a heart rate monitor this weekend and I need help with the following

1) My choices are between the polar CS 300 of the FT60, I want to be able to loa the data onto my laptop and montior my performance etc. Can I do this with the CS 300? The reason that I have chosen these two options is that I play touch rugby and indoor football and also train at the gym so I cant use a unit that is fixed to my bike.

2) Does anyone have a good heart rate based training program that I can use? Ive seen guys metion it on the hub before?

3) Lastly what are the pros and cons of a heart rate based program? if any?

Thanks

1) You can upload training data to the polarpersonaltrainer.com website with the CS300.

2) There are also a couple of training programs available on the site.

3) Following a HR based training program to the T isn't always easy, unless you do it on a IDT... Which will be boring as all hell.

You'll find a balance and get to know how your body reacts to exercise... Like I know my HR jumps 4 - 5 bpm when I take in fluid. I also know that 150bpm is my max HR for at least the first 5mins of exercise, and only after about 40mins I can reach my real 100% @ 183bpm

Hey Guys

Im going to buy a heart rate monitor this weekend and I need help with the following

1) My choices are between the polar CS 300 of the FT60, I want to be able to loa the data onto my laptop and montior my performance etc. Can I do this with the CS 300? The reason that I have chosen these two options is that I play touch rugby and indoor football and also train at the gym so I cant use a unit that is fixed to my bike.

2) Does anyone have a good heart rate based training program that I can use? Ive seen guys metion it on the hub before?

Thanks

Polar Personal Trainer is a great site if you go with the Polar. It keeps track of your training as well as giving you workouts. It also gives you a programme depending on what you want to do.

J

You only need the watch and a mic on your PC.

The data transfer sounds like what old modems used to when they connected to the web.

Krrrr krrr kr krrrrkrrr kr krr krrrkr

There was a topic at one point about how to pimp your data transfer. :huh:

But it's not rocket science. Click "listen" on the PC and press "Send" on the CS300... krrrkrr krkrkrrrkrrrr krrrr ... tatda!!

Neither of these options records detailed data from your workout. You can only upload a summary of each workout e.g. total time, ave HR etc.

The cheapest wrist unit I've seen that can measure speed and cadence and upload the detailed record of your whole workout to a PC is the Garmin FR60 used with a GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor.

Here's an FR60 review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/02/garmin-fr60-review-in-depth.html

Neither of these options records detailed data from your workout. You can only upload a summary of each workout e.g. total time, ave HR etc.

The cheapest wrist unit I've seen that can measure speed and cadence and upload the detailed record of your whole workout to a PC is the Garmin FR60 used with a GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor.

Here's an FR60 review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/02/garmin-fr60-review-in-depth.html

Huh...

CS300 uploads:

Max: Speed, HR, Cad(opt)

Avg: Speed, HR, Cad(opt)

Fat percentage

Distance

Calories

Duration

Upper and lower training zone limits. Plus time under,in and over training zone.

And it loads up "OwnIndex"

So unless you go the GPS route, how much more do you need to log? :mellow:

Have to admit that I won't buy Polar again though. It gets deurmekaar very easily.

That FR60 does look like it has some nice features... :huh:

If someone is looking for a good price, I bought myself a CS300 from Solomons in PTA with extra cadence meter for a shade over R2000.

So unless you go the GPS route, how much more do you need to log? :mellow:

The FR60 allows you to record and graph detailed data for your whole ride by storing a data point every couple of seconds. You can then upload all the points to your computer.

You'll still get all the summary info that the CS300 has and you can do much more powerful performance analysis by looking at the graphs like this one:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Wo8yCZ1eTVw/S2e6iM73f7I/AAAAAAAAXNE/bLbdwl2T-a4/image_thumb12.png?imgmax=800

Just one possible use could be analysing race files e.g. you might see that your HR spent a large amount of time in Zone 5 just before getting dropped. You might then think about adjusting your training to spend more time in Zone 5 to address this weakness.

I just bought the RS800 CX PTE,amazing computer with all the functions and more.

On the hub I met Maryke Verster,she is a sport scientist.

I aked her to write me a training program to make the fancy watch do what it was designed for.

I've been on a interval training program now for 2 weeks,doing a 10km run in the mornings and a 40km mtb ride in the evenings,4 times a week.I rest on Wednesdays,Saturday is a long bike ride and Sunday a long run.

When I started program I ran 10km in 55 minutes,now I run 46 min,getting faster and faster.

40km bike rides took me 2 hrs,I'm down to 1.43 hr now.My fastest time was the day after a race that I finished 11th,kicking dust in the eyes of guys that did the Epic and Trans Baviaans this year.

My recovery time is very rapid between sets,letting me go for it km after km.

My body has responded very well to this sort of training.

Give Maryke a shout at:maryke.verster87@gmail.com

she knows her story.

thanks guys,really appreciate all the advice.

Bought myself the CS 300 with speed sensor and cadence for R1 999, so hopefully it helps with all the training!!

GTforce, thanks for the advice about Maryke, sent her an email last night so hopefully I can go see her and she can sort me out

Thanks

Hi,

I am a sport scientist and I believe in heart rate based training and I write all my programs for my clients accordingly.

The benefits of heart rate training is that programs are individualized, the different energy systems in your body are stressed according to the type of interval you do, so it's possible to develop specific energy systems for specific tasks, you know when you are working hard or when you are lazy, you know when you need a rest, when you are bonking, when you are starting to get ill, etc.

The benefits are endless!!

If you are interested in heart rate training or have any other questions, contact me at maryke.verster87@gmail.com.