MTB Helmet

NE1L

Hey all

I’m looking for a new helmet and have really seen a remarkable difference in price when looking at online shops such as Chain Reaction Cycles compared to our local shops.

I'm drawn to the Giro Hex as a good helmet but am concerned about fit and comfort some things are good to buy online some things are best left there. Has anybody had any experience with the Hex good or bad or possible know a shop in JHB that has stock so I could try one on.

Regards

Neil

Just remember the extra tax slapped on top of the price you pay overseas and the crash replacement policy won't be honoured here.

i bought a hex after i broke the previous one

my requirements include a way to fit a light - so that's why i went for the hex in the end - it fits beautifully - even though it looks a bit like those soldier ants from it's a bug's life :D

if you buy from crc, see if you can fit the helmet somewhere in a local shop (i bought mine at epic cycles in centurion) - even if it's perfect for one head shape (or height of ears, or size of sunglasses) it might not work for the next person

Thanks for the advice guys ja I would like to try one on first also I did think about the crash replacement value but then the helmets overseas are almost half the price of 1 here so even if you do crash you can still afford to buy another one Thanks all the same will check out Epic Cycles when I next visit Centurion.

Just make sure I do think helmets are taxed heavily just do a search and see how much the tax is there are lots of threads on this forum concerning that.

Just back from the UK where I picked up a Giro Ionos, and was informed by the salesman that there would be no need to apply for a VAT refund as helmets are VAT free as they are protective wear, very 1st world. By the way the price was GBP143.00 about ZA1670.00,a hell of a lot cheaper than the local price.

Thanks for all the information I didn’t know about the duty I will defiantly investigate further. However even with the Duty the Hex is only going to cost me R780 where as some of the shops I’ve spoken to are closer to R1200.

Rudy Project is nearly prostituting their helmets to try and get a bigger foot hold in the market - Zuma R 700.00/Sterling R 1400.00

Cant really beat that can you?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the GIRO Hex from CRC fits great did have to pay the duty but its exactly what I wanted so very happy

Rudy Project is nearly prostituting their helmets to try and get a bigger foot hold in the market - Zuma R 700.00/Sterling R 1400.00

Cant really beat that can you?

Its not just the helmets they are doing this with :huh:

Just got the GIRO Hex from CRC fits great did have to pay the duty but its exactly what I wanted so very happy

How much for that? :)