Anthem to Zula any thoughts

wapad

I have being weighing up a change from Anthem to an Epic and then Morewood mad put the Zula into my head has anyone made the change from an Anthem (2008 3.5 travel and 72 degree head) to the Zula or Epic

any comments I do the odd race and want to get into stage racing must admit am comfortable on the Anthem but a change is due..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a Anthem, but I do have a Zula, and are very happy with it. Thats all I can say.

I think the best will be to try out the different bikes and get a feal for them.

I changed from the Anthem (2008 3.5 travel) to the Zula a few months ago and where i found a significant improvement was in rocky and technical downhill sections. My old Anthem had the standard rear shock and i think the fox RP 23 is a significant improvement. I weigh 98kgs and am tall and i found the Anthems front wanting to lift off the ground on the steep inclines, with the Zula, i don't find this at all. It is definitely a more comfortable ride, but the bike is not light.

All in all i am overjoyed with the Zula and would not change anytime soon.

There is only one annoying fact in that in the mud, the clearance between the back tyre and the frame is not that great, and you will have a build up mud and the frame being scratched. The chain also runs very close to the rear suspension pivot when on the smallest blade on the crank. I noticed when i stripped down the bike after the Grave Travel that the chain had scratched the frame. I personally will not ride my Zula again in a muddy race. I have just fitted the new XT 10 speed components and they are definitely not suited to muddy riding conditions. I had to wash the bike at every river crossing as the mud was destroying the components.

Can not comment on the Morewood, but Grant Noble has recently got himself one and he seems to enjoy his Zula a lot.

I can however say that I have been on a Anthem for the last few years, BUT during this time I have broken 4 frames. The last two within 6 months of each other. Besides myself I know of at leat 5 of my mates who have also experienced frame problems in exactly the same place - tob tube & down tube weld. The agents have replaced the frame each time, but I have reached a point where I lost complete faith in the product. A pitty as the Anthem X was really a stunning ride and the suspension design & linkage seemed to really work well for a big rider (95 kg) like myself. I never thought I would enjoy any other bike, but I must say that my new Sintesi 609 Race has surely impressed me thus far. Time will tell if it is a overall better frame.

For the reason of the unreliable frames (ask any Giant dealer how many Anthem X frames they have received back with problems - you will be shocked, I would surely have gone for the Morewood who is known to be strong and bulletproof for our local conditions.

Thanks for the input much of what siggie says is my experience but the input really does help make decisions

siggie if I may ask what is the weight of your bike I take it it is a large and you are running full XT wheels??

My anthem is 12.4 ish

does anyone know if there are Morewood test bikes in Cape Town

Thanks siggie those are quite hardcore wheels do you have a weight for them compared to xt wheels, how do you think it compares with the epic alu bike.

do you reckon your bike feels as efficient as the anthem when climbing. I'm no racing snake but every bit helps

My Zula weigh about 11kg, SID fork, ZTR wheels with A2Z hubs, Noir crank (2blade), crank brother twin ti paddles, XO shifters etc.

I dont know what fork you have but it should not weigh more than your anthem.

My Zula is also 11kg or thereabouts - SRAM X.0 and Shimano XTR mix, Fox F32 RLC.

I added the Zula to my stable ( :D ) and haven't ridden my Scott Genius Ltd since!

Don't know the Anthem, but I can safely say the Zula won't disappoint.. I'm quite surprised by the comment on mud clearance, certainly haven't had that experience at all!

what model santa cruz ??

As long as I can keep my anthem weight to a Zula I am using a reba team and full xt and wheels considering elixir cr brakes as xt seem abit pap on the long downhills definitely no 1 finger braking I weigh 100 kg

bachk to the frame any bargains out there on a large frame

what model santa cruz ??

As long as I can keep my anthem weight to a Zula I am using a reba team and full xt and wheels considering elixir cr brakes as xt seem abit pap on the long downhills definitely no 1 finger braking I weigh 100 kg

bachk to the frame any bargains out there on a large frame

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/blurxc_carbon/

Got my Blur on Monday

Rode it at the Nissan today very happy really climbs nice really stiff still need to fine tune susp and tyre pressures etc to get it spot on but very impressed today with the Blur (engine is the weak link :D )

I was about to get the Zula but a deal came up on the Blur so I went carbon I think I made right choice but was very keen on the Zula was chatting quite a bit to MWM about his Zula and the one I was planning on building prior to get the Santa Cruz its a beautifull frameset I weighed it prior to build with shock and headset 2100gs

MWM Zula really looks stunning still the best looking Zula I have seen :P

the Blur is food for thought are their any agents in Cape town, if you dont mind me asking how much was the good deal for the frame only you can pm me if need be