Lifespan Road Tyres

Daniel XTR

Just wondering how many KM is a reasonable amount to get out of a set of road tyres.

Bearing in mind JHB's roads with sand and glass etc....

What is a fair amount. I swear by my Vittoria's I am just not so sure on how long they ought to last.

Comments guys....

I have never worn a road tire out - normally the bad cuts make me stop using a tire. I try to fix/glue/batch(from the back) them but after a while they just get too "cut-up". I normally buy a new tire every +-1/2 year; i use gator skins for general riding and attack/force for racing but might get GP4000S next time. I think i do about 5000km a year on my bike.

I got about 7000km off a set of Gatorskins before a couple of bad cuts forced me to retire them.

I got about 2500km off a Conti Competition tubular before wearing a noticeable flat band all the way round the rear tyre.

Your rear tyre will wear much faster due to bearing more weight and also propulsion loads (my experience is it wears about twice as fast).

You can't say how much km's.

Race tyres won't last for 1000's of km's but training tyres can last 8000km+ (ballpark figure)

Thanks guys,

Was going through my tyres, and they got a few cuts on them, quite irritating actually.

But found out what i need to know- tyres will be cut up long before they worn in.

Thanks guys

I used Gator Skin for training. Wore plenty out but never had a puncture. Pumped them up to 11 bar.

I used the Michelin Race (fold up) tyres for racing. Also 11 bar

Don't know how many km a tyre lasted though, never kept a record.

I used Gator Skin for training. Wore plenty out but never had a puncture. Pumped them up to 11 bar.

:o Isn't the max pressure spec on Gatorskins 8.5bar?

As the peeps said, depends on the tyre. My training tyres (Schwalbe, Gatorskin, etc) lasted anything between 3000 and 5000 km.

The condoms wear faster.