MTB World Cup/Championship riders

Stormf

How much support do our top performing MTB riders get from CSA? The World Championships are currently underway with our only result being Burry Stander's Bronze medal finish in the Elite Men's Cross-Country.

How much assistance has Candice Neethling had since her podium at last year's Worlds? Has she been given the chance to ride in all the World Cup events with all the necessary support like a trainer masseur, nutritionist, etc.? And what about the rest of the younger competitors? Some of them have performed admirably without any real experience and are to be congratulated.

So I ask again: What assistance do our riders get from CSA or our local agent's via their principals?

difficult to say. but let's start witht he fact that this is worlds, yet the various members of the south african contingent on not even sitting together working on each other's stoke.

btw: wandering masseurs are never far away. Just have the team manager book and he/she will be there. Dedicated would be nice, but not strictly speaking necessary.

In the DH category: it's Pottie in the men's elite and that youngster int he juniors. But none of them have ridden one single WC event. Mt Sainte Anne by all accounts from the dedicated big guns. is a brutal track. So the chances our boys are gonna do well are almost zero (except for greg and maybe needles). Just a big damn pity.

I doubt it. Either way, one race is not sufficient. Not by a long shot.

So we need CSA to start a major run at Lotto and the Sports Dept. to fund the riders during an entire World Cup season until the get picked up by a factory team.

DH vs Soccer and rugby and cricket? (referring to the development programs in those programs).

Not gonna happen.

I think we punch above our weight on the world mtb scene already. Its a little freaky how minnaar got so good on his own, burry obviously came through the structures a bit more.

I reckon money is better spent growing the sport and widening the talent pool locally. If someone really stands out (like burry) then the overseas opportunties will come. Throwing okes onto world cup circuit is a bit of a shotgun approach.

The thing is, Minnaar came from a motocross background. Seems all the really big guns of DH come from a motocross background. Even Hill started out dirt riding, and then moved to bicycles and DH. I see now more and more WC riders who have a background almost solely in bicycles, are turning to dirt riding in the off season. Stefan Garlicky and Justin Cope are two local guys who should be able to give us good insight into this link between being good at motocross and DH.

I think it's nuture in many ways. But all I'm saying is, some will punch above their weight, but overally, everyone's capable given the right development. Minnaar is just giving everyone a massive clue how it's done.

I do think CSA financially (a bit) supported Burry, Mariske, Phillip and Greg (others) for Worlds XC MTB......but I personally think that this year the major money went to BMX and Skizo....

I waitng now for the roadies to get on the podium in both elite road race and TT this year - talk about a snow ball's hope........CSA should just cancel the roadie's budget and swing tit to MTB........

8th in junior DH (last guy to that well in jnr was minnaar with back to back 6th places) and 2 guys just outside the incredibly tough category of junior XC......future's looking good......