So much of confusion? - Bike for the wife - What to spend & what bike?

Caerus

Hi all, Im sure there might be a few other other threads like this, but I need some help please.

The wife is keen on a bike now. What should I be spend? I dont want to but something now and have to upgrade too quickly(she is very competitive) I was hoping to get a hardtail to start offwith - Possibly spend about R5000(max R6000)also need to get a helmet.

Is that amount pretty reasonable to get something decent with? Ive looked at a Merida matt tfs 100 also possibly the Merida Juliet tfs 100, Giant Terrago, Gt Avalanche 3.0 so far. Ive been told the new Scott 2011 bikes are gonna be good too, great specs etc. Ive read some good reviews on the Silverback bikes as well. Any other bikes that guys/girls would recommend? So hence all the confusion :unsure:.

Many Thanks :)

Check out Obike for the 2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 specs at R4750, the 2.0 also looks good at just over 6K

Check out Obike for the 2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 specs at R4750, the 2.0 also looks good at just over 6K

Is that the GT Avalanche disc Hydro, would that frame geometry be ok for a woman? Does a woman have to have a womens geometry bike? :unsure:

Is that the GT Avalanche disc Hydro, would that frame geometry be ok for a woman? Does a woman have to have a womens geometry bike? :unsure:

The brakes are hydraulic - Tektro Draco (Not really familiar with these - I imagine they are similar to the Auriga Comps which are not bad for this price point). I'm not sure if the 3.0 comes in a women's specific - I know the 2010 1.0 did.

The brakes are hydraulic - Tektro Draco (Not really familiar with these - I imagine they are similar to the Auriga Comps which are not bad for this price point). I'm not sure if the 3.0 comes in a women's specific - I know the 2010 1.0 did.

But does a woman need/have to have a womans specific frame? :blink: Why does it matter?

But does a woman need/have to have a womans specific frame? :blink: Why does it matter?

Not at all - its a personal preference. My wife, for example, prefers the normal GT avalanche 1.0 to the GTW Avalanche 1.0!

i've never had a women's specific bike - get the one she's comfortable on.

another possibility is the Felt range, but the top tube might be a bit too long for her... I know it's just at the limits of my reaches, and my reach is pretty long.

Silverback / Merida / Scott are all good at that price...