Presta vavles

iRob

Hi

I'm new to Presta valves and am struggling to get the valve out in order to slime up the tube. (One step at a time, tubless will follow...)

How the flip do I get the vavle out? I tried a long-nose pliers but it felt like I was going to strip the valve and ruin the tube.

Any Operating Experience?

iRob just remember that not all Presta valves have removable cores! the easiest in my opinion if you still using innertubes is buy the tubes that have slim in them already!

Not all presta valves you can remove the valve body. Look just beneath the head and there should be two flat sections either side of the valve. You must turn this like normal thread to remove the valve body section.

Have not got picture but you should clearly see it.

If your valve core cannot be removed, as explained in the above posts, and you want to use a sealant, get Sludge Presta, which is specifically made to flow through the presta valve. Good stuff!

post-12004-049912000 1283775122.jpg

I've put slime into non removable presta valves before - its quite easy, but takes a bit of time:

1. unscrew the valve all the way

2. use a pliers to unscrew the little stopper thingy on top further, thereby removing it from the valve core entirely (takes a bit of force)

3. push the valve core down into the tube

4. use one of those presta-to-schrader converter thingys that you use to pump at a garage (+-R15) and screw it onto the valve stem - this just makes getting slime though the narrow valve stem easier.

5. I then use a big syringe and inject the slime

6. now the hard part -feel the lowest point of the tube and find the valve core

7. work the valve core back up to the valve stem and screw the top bit back on with the pliers.

I've done it a few times with no problems - however it is quite difficult to get a kenda valve core back into the stem...

Or just take a nice fat syringe with about a 2mm needle, inject the slime through the side of the tube and patch it again afterwards just to make sure.

I've put slime into non removable presta valves before - its quite easy, but takes a bit hey, i have a lot of time and patience:

Damn - took me a while to figure out if this is a serious post - Josh, seriously, that is commitment! Res-pek!

6. now the hard part -feel the lowest point of the tube and find the valve core

If you drop the core into the tube and hold it in place by pinching it through the tube while you're filling you don't need to go hunting for it afterwards.

Intense

Ja I'll check it out this afternoon. It seems pretty strange to make a tube with a non-removable valve though. Shot for the help okes. Karoo to Coast here I come!

Yip, I was serious :D I did it while watching a movie on my laptop, took about 40 min to do 3 tubes (only because I was struggling to get the sealant thru the valve stem - then I thought of the adapter idea :) )

I use presta because my training rims are drilled for presta and I dont want to drill them out as they are going to get a tubeless conversion sometime in the future.

Holding the core does work, if you have enough hands!

Get yourself a 20ml disposable syringe and a 15 gauge needle and inject the slime into the tube. Much easier and far less hassle. Hell you can even the whole hog, and inject it through the tire.

So I had a look, the presta's are thos silly non-removable ones.

Posted a thread in the Rant 'n Rave section, "Legends - keeping me on the road"

Pretty good service and help from the guys at Action Cycling in CT.

I now have two slimmed tubes and am ready to ride again with no fear of thorn induced punctures.

Shot for the operating experience guys.