Plyometric Training

Hammie

Does anyone know if using leg specific plyometric exercises will increase strenth more than normal weight training?

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, its stuff like bounding, hopping,box jumps, tuck jumps hurdles etc.

I really want to get stronger and sprint faster...

Hammie I know nothing about plyometric training but what I can say is people who run tend to achive allround fitness and do better first time on a bike than most who do other stuff, so what you have said above seems to make sense to me that it would help.

Makes sense. I was a runner and have found the transition to cycling easy. However, being a mere 48-50kg, I lack significant strength to: Attack on hills, sprint without embarrasing myself and to keep pushing big gears over long periods. I heard plyometrics can have better results than weights as it incorporates and engages fast twitch muscles etc....worth a try though...

Yup I would agree, I have gotten into walking at least 3 - 5 km's per day to try to increase strength and play action cricket where I work on short sprints to help increase those bursts you need. I have found that this has helped. i also struggle pushing the big gears in the 45km's range for extended periods of time as I weigh 65kg's.

But someone once said cycling doesn't get easier you only get faster so keep on riding and soon enough you will see that you can keep up.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about' date=' its stuff like bounding, hopping,box jumps, tuck jumps hurdles etc.

QUOTE']

I love the Hub - it's the diversity.  Looking at a post by a squirrel called Hammie who's into bounding and hopping.

I'm 89kgs, no not 90, 89   and I don't think I've ever thought bounding or hopping would be a good thing for me to do.  Which is a shame because I can see that it would be fun and liberating in a skipping through the meadows gathering nuts kind of a way.  It's just explaining it to the knees and ankles afterwards.

So I've trained myself to sit tight on virtually any hill until it's over and wait for the opportunity to grind out big gears over long stretches.

Can't help feeling I'm missing something.

Bounding and hopping ....... hmmmm gotta think about that some more.

smiley1.gif

I really want to get stronger and sprint faster...

Logic tells me that the only and probably most effective method if your goal is to sprint faster is if you get on your bike and you train sprints.

epoh2007-09-03 15:14:48

From what i have heard it increases power to weight output. ie: one would increase the height or distance that one could spring with a single effort. thus increaseing the power output.

Because of the speed of contraction, Plyometrics training will be classified as power training, not strength training.

Plyometric training can certainly help improve explosive power and the ability to contract your fast twitch muscle fibres quickly. 

Thanks everyone. From Wikipedia:

Plyometrics is a type of exercise that uses explosive movements to develop muscular power, the ability to generate a large amount of force quickly. It may be used, for example, to improve the effectiveness of a boxer's punch, or to quicken the throwing ability of a baseball pitcher. Plyometric training acts on both the musculotendinous and neurological levels to increase an athlete's power output without necessarily increasing their maximum strength output.

Thanks everyone. From Wikipedia:
Plyometrics is a type of exercise that uses explosive movements to develop muscular power' date=' the ability to generate a large amount of force quickly. It may be used, for example, to improve the effectiveness of a boxer's punch, or to quicken the throwing ability of a baseball pitcher. Plyometric training acts on both the musculotendinous and neurological levels to increase an athlete's power output without necessarily increasing their maximum strength output.

[/quote']

Plyometrics due to the nature of the exercise can increase the risk of injury to your legs and bring about severe delayed muscle soreness (stiffness), not what cyclists really need. Should be approached with caution if doing them for the first time. Rather start off slowly and do less than to much.

As a sports scientist I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

To answer the original question, plyometrics will improve cycling performance. The question is, is it the best way of improving cycling performance, the most likely answer is no. There are better ways to spend your time training for cycling than doing plyometrics. Plyometrics are not cycling specific enough but can play a supportive role.

As has already been mentioned plyometrics is a very intensive form of training that has a very high injury risk. It really should only be the domain of the highly trained althlete and / or done under the supervision of an expert.

The pros of plyometric training is that you need very little equipment and you can train almost anywhere. Its a very functional exercise. This means it translates very well into normal human movements and needs. However cycling is the exception. Cycling is an unnatural movement for humans. We do it rather well but nothing in our development over the centuries has required a rotation action from our legs. As such the functional translation of plyometrics to cycling is almost non existent. What plyo does do is train 2 very important aspects of muscle contraction.

1. It trains muscle balance. Plyo demands functional co contraction form all muscles involved in a movement. We are not just focusing on quads or hamis as you may with weight training. The result is more muscularly balanced movements which can increase power through efficiency and reduce the risk of injury in normal activities.

2. The second factor is the muscle stretch shortening cycle or SSC. This is a theory that muscles, tendons and ligaments store potential energy when strectched that assists a subsequent contraction. For example, pushing down on a pedal needs the quads to contract and the hamis to lengthen. Potential energy is stored in the hamis as they are stretched by the quads. This energy can be released on the pedal upstroke which assists the hamstring contraction and gives a more powerful contraction. The same is true for the subsequent downstroke with the quads now releasing their potential energy store during the supstroke. Shew! Make any sense.  Plyo is one way of optimising this effect. It also works on the neurological component as Hammie mentioned. But the explanation of this is 5 page post in itself.

The cons of plyo is the high risk of injury, the severe muscle stiffness over the following 72 hrs (DOMS) and the lack of specificity. But I do include them as part of the cross training programme of the athletes I manage.

Plyometrics would suit rugby, soccer, hockey players more than cyclists.

Better stop their as I am sure most of you are bored to tears by now.