DC advice

amdretard

I am 18 and although i am over the required age limit ! MY parents and club have voiced their concerns over doing the race and i fully respect that ! Now what i want to know is how smart is my choice ? I would be placed in a team to do a 7:30 - 8H DC

My current results are a 3:09 Argus and 3:29 Knysna!

My current training is 2 twice a week plus 70 - 90km twice a weekend ! Which would get upped if i chose to do it !

Should i rather skip it and do it next year ?

You need to increase one of your weekend rides to more than 100k's and in October do 150 maybe. Your results are on par for that type of finishing time. The speed wont kill you. Some riders are better at long distances than others, I'm one of them, maybe you too.

If you start the race concervatively, dont pace too much in 1st 100k's, sit and act tired at the back, and you eat and drink enough, you'll make it. If you feel well after 100 k's you can start pacing with your mates, and if you feel better after 150, tell them to hang on! Eat solids, not only gels and energy bars. Stuff like fruitcake, sandwich, bananas are excellent.

Tell your folks not too worry, if you really bonk, you can get in a car. No damage done then.

You are still very young, it is tough on both your mind and your body!!! Listen to your parents. Rather put more effort into trying to get a sub 3 at 08 ArgusThumbs%20Up

I think at 18 years old you should be fine to do a 200km ride - Especially if it's not hard racing with accelarations and all that. I know of a few guys (including myself) who did 200km's at 16 years of age, and I think if it's not something you do regularly that it can't do any harm. (Just my opinion - Someone with coaching/training experience might be capable of giving you a more informed answer). Phen2007-09-03 15:09:24

You can do the Tour de France at 20! Please do it if you trained well. This is an overrated funride taken seriously by people that cant win races in the rest of the year.

Just do it..you'll be fine.

Listen to GL.

Especially the part about eating solids. Eat, eat, eat in small amounts, the whole time.

It won't kill you, especially at that pace.  It will help you decide if you like long rides or want to stick to little metric centuries.  Listen to Groot Lem though and do a ride or two between 130 and 160km, depending on how many people you are with (ie do 130km if you are on your own).

I am 18 and although i am over the required age limit ! MY parents and club have voiced their concerns over doing the race and i fully respect that ! Now what i want to know is how smart is my choice ? I would be placed in a team to do a 7:30 - 8H DC

My current results are a 3:09 Argus and 3:29 Knysna!

My current training is 2 twice a week plus 70 - 90km twice a weekend ! Which would get upped if i chose to do it !

Should i rather skip it and do it next year ?

Jy sal fine wees. DC is REGTIG nie so groot issue as mens dit rustig vat nie.

If you do it with a team where its not expected of you to do more than your 8,3 % share, you will be fine! Rather do less work than more and hang at the back like sprinters/dogs/outcasts/groot lemme etc.

Enjoy!Wink

Start it. Make sure that your team mates are aware of the fact that you will not work as much as them and sit at the back most of the time.

You can always pull out at 150km.

It is very good to hear that your parents do not want you to be pushed to much, mine did the same and thanks to that I am still riding and love cycling. But: The DC is a once off event. 'Overdoing' things comes from doing too much too often. Not from one DC a year.

I did my first DC at 18 and with a 3.15 Argus and had an absolute ball.
Craven2007-09-04 03:23:14

I did my first DC at 18 and with a 3.15 Argus and had an absolute ball.

3.15 quite shabby and still you won DC later on :) Didn't you have an 18 year old team mate then who finished in 5hours 40??

Seriously 18 is fine just do some 5-6 hours rides over the coming weekends and take ample rest in between.