Price Fixing - Tyres

Caerus

What with the tyre manufacturers getting had for collusion and price fixing, does this mean that bike tyres have also been fixed as well somewhere along the line? :unsure: :huh: Makes you wonder what else is actually getting fixed - I think sunglass prices are being fixed as well? :huh:

Who knows, although I have seen some serious reductions in tyre prices over the last 3 months.

For sure, it seems that its all the neccesities in life so far - Bread, milk, bicycles & equipment, tyres - Thats just what I know of. Nothing ever happens though - Where does the fine money go too, I know the government gets it, but what do they do with it -Why should they benefit from the consumer being rippeed off :angry:

Speaking about price fixing anyone know if anything has been done about it, or were they just named and shamed and then it got flushed down the toilet agian

Yes I would like to know what happened to those name-and-shamers as well.

Speaking of tyre prices, they have come down a lot. Comparing the exact same tyres I got prices on the last time I put tyres with my shopping spree twe weeks back, there is an average saving of R200-R300 per tyre.

My boss damaged his car tyre on his Tiquan. He pulled into the closest TW&T and asked them how much to replace. They quoted him R3500 for the one tyre. He said stuff that and came to the office. I told him about Minty's and he phoned them. They quoted him R2200 for the same thing.

car tyre prices have always been dodgy, you can say a good few hundred rand in town just by walking a little further up or down the same street........s'pose its good that there isn't a strict RRP given by the distributors - free market is best.

Speaking about price fixing anyone know if anything has been done about it, or were they just named and shamed and then it got flushed down the toilet agian

Its a lengthy process.

First the competition commission makes a very comprehensive investigation, this takes years usually. Then they look at the findings and decide if there is a case.

If they think they have a case they refer the matter to a Competition board Tribunal along with their recommendation of order of costs (punishment (ie) a fine) of XYZ - if they think there is no case they withdraw the matter and close the file.

The tribunal, which is independant then re-looks at all the facts and makes a final ruling on the matter, as well as granting the order of costs (Fine)

So, yeah, its slow, as far as I can see the case has only just been referred to the tribunal, so they will now hear argument by both parties (the commission and the tyre manufacturers) and finalize their ruling.

I think its fairly safe to say that once the commission has ruled there is a case, and its referred to the tribunal, they are very sure of their facts, and its almost unknown that the tribunal withdraws the case, at the best the tribunal may reduce the order of cost (fine)- but I dont know of one case which reached them and was withdrawn.

The competition commission is very consistant in their investigations and findings.

My boss damaged his car tyre on his Tiquan. He pulled into the closest TW&T and asked them how much to replace. They quoted him R3500 for the one tyre. He said stuff that and came to the office. I told him about Minty's and he phoned them. They quoted him R2200 for the same thing.

If you go there you must know they're gonna take you into the garden to smell the flowers and get stung on your nose by a bee.

Its going to be the same as everything I bet, slap on the wrist, pay the fine and try find other ways of ripping us off. Its the same story all the time :angry:

where is minty's Mampara

where is minty's Mampara

I had Pirelli's, they lasted 9000 km's I found some cool tyres in Pretoria.

Try Malas as well.

Hahaha.... thats very helpfull......

Where is malas.....

In Pretoria, they are the importers for Marangoni, a high performance Italian tyre.