?? Gripshift for a beginner or not ??

Novice Mommie

Hi Guys,

I am really beginner ... with bugger all budget to spend and just to add more fun - need small frame :)

I visited a lbs shop, looked at an entry level bike to give things a try - Silverback Swift (R2000) SRAM MRX 21 Speed Grip Shift,

alternatively the lbs offered me a Silverback Stride (R2500) - 7 speed EZ fire plus.

Not having any experience - which would be preferable for me at this stage - one guy told me to avoid the gripshif !! ? others have said go for the gripshift ... who to believe...

thanks guys,

I think you need to take both bikes for a ride and see which one you prefer, once you are into the sport you will probably be upgrading anyway.

Don't get gripshift unless it's X7/X9/X0 - the others suck big time...

X7-X0 are all exactly the same btw, the X0 just has a softer rubber and different paint job...

Also consider all the fittings on the bike, make/models/age, then they can be compared as whole.

Gripshifts are easy enough to use, and they last well. What doesnt last is cables, cogs, cassettes, chain.

ps that would be a 9 speed on the Swift :) ie the number of sprockets on the rear cassette and for total spec you would say 9 x 3

Thank you everyone for your advice - I am still in awe at this website and it's members, so friendly, so HELPFULL!! and no bitter uglyness.... unlike some of the horse sites ! how refreshing

Thank you everyone for your advice - I am still in awe at this website and it's members, so friendly, so HELPFULL!! and no bitter uglyness.... unlike some of the horse sites ! how refreshing

just don't mention religion or Lance Armstrong and you will be okay. :D

just don't mention religion or Lance Armstrong and you will be okay. :D

Ha ha ha !!! okay .... thanks for the headsup !! but I am sure NOTHING can be as crappy as the bitching that goes on with the horsewoman!! right little ol dung beetles - the lot of them ! ... and I'v ridden for over 20 years, represented KZN a number of times ... DUNG BEETLES! you know what they are attracted to !

Well, at least your bike won't shy all over the place should a guinea fowl appear from nowhere! And you don't have to clean up after them!!

Well, at least your bike won't shy all over the place should a guinea fowl appear from nowhere! And you don't have to clean up after them!!

Correct and ... it doesn't eat while you sleep !