My new toys for summer

Edge_Design

Finally they are ready... the first complete bikes from the Edge components I'm importing (Figmo is the same company, just another brand name they use)...

Firstly, the road bike, weighing in at 7.17kg's with pedals and Gatorskins (large frame):-

post-4198-075518700 1283939522.jpg

post-4198-015014300 1283939562.jpg

post-4198-006486500 1283939658.jpg

Secondly, the MTB, weighing in at 9.45kg's with tubeless setup, but no pedals (large frame):-

post-4198-066671400 1283939625.jpg

post-4198-091472900 1283939584.jpg

post-4198-076671600 1283939847.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. On the MTB, how does the rear brake hose attach to the frame? Does not look like clamps or zip ties.

Nice. On the MTB, how does the rear brake hose attach to the frame? Does not look like clamps or zip ties.

There are 2 carbon clips built into the frame that the cable gets pressed into. They just have enough flex to press the cable in and pull out of, but takes a fair amount of force so not going to come loose while riding.

nice bikes but must say the XO group really looks a lot better than those initial pics that made their way on to the net all those months back....

nice bikes but must say the XO group really looks a lot better than those initial pics that made their way on to the net all those months back....

I have to admit I wasn't sold on the looks myself and still think they could have made it a lot better (especially with how awesome the XX groupset looks!), but it does seem to work well with this bike so very happy with it... My biggest problem is that they went overboard with the design on the shifters which should have been left as a simple design rather. They look fairly cheap the way they've been done.

In the end it's all about functionality and can't comment on that yet, hoping to take it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow up table mountain. Today was the road bike's turn and it is absolutely beautiful (even though I'm really doubting my move from Campy to SRAM - Double-Tap is just over-complicating the whole shifting thing IMHO).

What does the road frame cost?

It would be in the region of R11k, but I am not intending on bringing in any stock at this stage. If someone is interested, I can see what stock is available at my supplier and try to get a frame if it is possible. I do have this frame available (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/74774-edge-revolution-21-isp-frameset-and-bb30-crank/page__p__1068997__hl__edge+revolution__fromsearch__1#entry1068997) which is not the same model as my bike, but looks awesome (IMO).

Haven't had a chance to test ride the MTB, but the road bike is awesome!

I noticed the awesome white seat she looks good is it the same one (love to hear your opinion when you get chance - can you do a 5 hour in the saddle)

To try and answer all the questions...

Slogger: This is an actual brand and not something I did myself, I just got the unbranded frame as a sample. They will do personalised brands as well (like Airstreeem), but this is their actual brand. I am not sure if they own the mould/design for the frames or if they are standard frames, but haven't seen any similar designs from other brands (incl. Ebay unbranded frames).

Not sure which saddle you're talking about, but did 3,5 hours on the road bike on saturday and the saddle was awesome (takes a little while to get used to, but once you've settled in, it's extremely comfortable - a friend who rides one says the exact same thing about his). Had to put my old I-beam post and saddle on to the MTB coz I needed a 400mm post so haven't used that saddle yet.

Sharkie 2: No shops at this stage, I import them myself, but haven't taken the time to approach any shops yet, want to keep it all on a small scale for now so will only order frames if there is demand for them.

Santa C: The frame in 17" weighs 1250g so probably about 1300 odd for the 19" (pure guess though). The wheels are 1670g Edge XC230's... Guess it's just a nice, balanced build. No ultra weight weenie stuff, but also no excess weight anywhere on it.

Samma: If you are interested in any point, I can always check stock availability and see what I can do...

Put some mileage on both bikes over the past few days and they are both absolutely awesome. The road bike handles much better in high speed corners than my Specialized did and climbs incredible well - presumably due to the low weight (my Spesh was a 2006 model so not comparing to current models). What can I say about the MTB, there's no better feeling than riding on the hills of table mountain on a sub-10kg bike and everything seems to just work perfectly together (the groupset is awesome although I run out of gears at about 50km/h, the fork is seriously smooth and the bike as a whole is such a big improvement over my old bike it's amazing)...

If anyone is interested in anything on the bikes, send me a PM and I will see what I can do. Will take a while to get complete bikes in, but I guarantee you will not find a cheaper bike with these specs.