Self servicing a FOX fork?

Chain-L

I want to give servicing my fork a try. If I mess it up, I will send it in for Fox to fix. Anyone tried servicing a fork? Can it be done using a manual like this:

FOX website

How hard is it, and what parts needs to be replaced? Where can I get the parts?

Easy, just do it. If you do not want to or it is not necessary to replace the foam rings or dust wipers, you might need to replace the crash washers. Johan Bornman sells them as they are not obtainable separately.

bought the bike in 2008, and has not serviced the fork yet (no leaking yet-was told if it does not leak, dont bother, as you often have more problems once it was been opended and serviced), so will need to replace all the servicable parts. Can it be bought as a set and what parts can be replaced?

Ja, really not that hard to do. Get the hydraulic oil required from a motorcycle shop. 1Litre will last around 6 services pending model. I serviced mine a couple of times without replacing any part except the oil. Even the crush washer can (but shouldn't) be re-used. Just clean the wipers thoroughly and make sure the foam bushings are well cleaned of any metal and dirt residue. You may have to buy a 26?mm socket and use this verrrrryyyy carefully.

It is actually fun. Enjoy!

bought the bike in 2008, and has not serviced the fork yet (no leaking yet-was told if it does not leak, dont bother, as you often have more problems once it was been opended and serviced), so will need to replace all the servicable parts. Can it be bought as a set and what parts can be replaced?

This is extremely poor advice and of course, utter rubbish.

Often, it doesn't leak simply because the oil inside is finished.

Secondly, dirt gets in behind the seals and does huge damage that cannot be reversed. I see this every single week. I can be prevented with regular servicing.

On a Fox, you just need a new set of seals. If I self-service, I won't bother with the couple of O-rings in the topcaps and on the compression rods. These either work or don't.

You need some 5WT (7WT specified but it doesn't matter) oil, 10WT oil and some heavy gear oil to use as float fluid.

Seals are available as after-market parts or from the distributor. Oil you get from a motorbike shop.

Wear old clothes when you do it and never, ever wear suede shoes.

how much to replace all the replaceable parts (parts that gets replaced during a proper service)? who is the distributor of Fox in SA? Please give me a price if I order it from you Johan.

Wear old clothes when you do it and never, ever wear suede shoes.

Classic!

Of course - it remains completely optional for one to continue wearing those favourite suede shoes for any of the other type of bike services/cleans!

Btw, I highly recommend Mr. Bornman's workshop as well!

I have Fox Talas forx which i have been servicing for a number of years. Basically all you are doing is replacing the oil and a couple of minor bits. You will be amazed at how bad the old oil looks. Fox sell the wiper service items in kits as shown on the website. I would recommend you replace the rubber wipers as well as the sponge wipers if they haven't been serviced before. The rubber wipers wear and will allow dirt in which will very quickly damage the forx (talking from experience) The wipers are sold as a kit in pairs with the rubber and sponge parts together. Replacing those forx is big bucks so spend a bit on maintenance. On very worn forx the bearings need to be replaced (sliders in the leg of the forx) but the shops typically send the Forx to Fox in Cape Town to do this.

Its actually a very easy procedure ...just a bit time consuming