Hydration Pack Problem!

Dickie

Hi all,

When racing with a hydration pack, how do you know how much you have drunk? With two bottles you can tell at a glance how much fluid you have taken. I borrowed a pack this weekend and was amazed at how much was left at the finish.

Which is the best method...bottles or pack?

Thanks

You don't specify wine or beer , with beer bottles are better with wine a bag (papsak)LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Sorry could not help it

In all Seriousness, it's six of the one and half a dozen of the other, I know of roadies who wouldn't be seen dead with a camelback and then some who won't ride without it.  Whatever works for you is best.

I prefer bottles.......cant swallow enough and fast enough through hydration pack. 

Would like to see you use your bottles going down a hill on a MTB. You should not use a hydro pack on a road bike.

The only issue I have with bottles is that a lot of the new FS frames (and then even some of these very 'compact' HT frames) is that if you are lucky you get 1 bottle in! On some (like the Epic) you can also fit a cage 'in front' of the down tube but the issue is that every time you want to drink from any of the bottles on an MTB bike the 'nozzle' is covered in dust, mud, cow pooh or whatever you have ridden over!

You are correct that how much you have in the backpack is a mystery and it can be a bit of a lottery when riding long events as you don't know at which water stop to fill up. Also if you have some 'special' juice in there, do you throw whats left in out? Just add water to it? Mix it with whatever arbitrary juice is being sponsored?

Ai ai ai, decisions decisions!

you gotta just rip off that stupid little end part that you gotta bite, then it way better than bottles no worries bout it flying off your bike and hitting the guy behind you on the head Wink

Mampara, you are right about the downhill thing! Thats one of the reasons for trying the pack. Thats why MTBing is so tough because you cant drink on the way up the hill because you are breathing too heavily and then on the downhills its too dangerous to whip out a bottle while taking your eyes off the gravel! If only there was some flat bits in between!!

Yip BB I actaully had to go and buy a small water bottle to fit into my cage !

When the pack on your back gets very light then you know you have almost ran outta whatever you had in there !

In one word expirience,

You get to know how much and how often you need to drink from the camelbak, you can also feel by the weight how much you have. Also knowing the distance and terrain will allow you to budget on the amount of drink you need.

Ja I agree the nozzle on most the bladders are crap... i cant justify spending the money on a pukka camelbak... Bottles are best when you have that deep thirst! i reckon you just gotta get used to sucking on a rubber nipple :)

I find that for races up to about 2 hours I go with bottles and anything longer i go with the pack.

BigBen2007-09-04 06:04:04

Cool, thanks for the link... I looked at Cajees... they want 750 and up for them.. Sportsmans warehouse want 370...but they not the same type....i bought one for 180...made by 360 degrees