DT Swiss 240s MTB Hubs

Clint Adams

Anyone have some of these hubs on their MTB?

Is the hubs any good? I got a set of Scott wheels with my Anthem frame.

I see CRC sell the front hub for R1400 and the rear R2400. The price tells me this is good but I could be wrong! :blink:

Any feedback.

I see CRC sell the front hub for R1400 and the rear R2400. The price tells me this is good but I could be wrong! :blink:

Any feedback.

Dont think price always reflects how good something is :unsure: They are pretty good as far as I know. But then again I could be proven wrong :mellow: I have them on my bike, and in a year or riding 2- 4 times a week, not even needed a service :)

Price does not dictate quality. My custom built XT equipped wheels were less then R2000 shipping and Vat included and they are pretty decent, just not light.

Any feedback.

You have gold in your hands - the 240s are one of the best hubsets on the planet. Often sold for more than Chris Kings. Use them and love them! I've been (ab)using a set for more than four years without an issue.

Agreed - definately one of the best hubs on the market currently(in my opinion anyway). Reliable and light - not cheap though.....

Most things with the letters S,W and I arranged in this particular sequence SWISS are expensive.

:huh:

You probably could get as good or better at a similar or lower price if you shop around.

I have had them on my road bike for +/- 5 years and they have been very reliable and maintenance free. Except for one problem I had earlier this year with a bearing on the front hub that came loose ( was not visibly loose but it was loose enough to make a noise while riding)and was easily fixed with loctite (by DT Swiss).

Also have them on both my mtbks and these have given no problems, the one set is new (2010) and the other +/- 2004.

Rumour has it that they dont like water being pointed at them, but I've never had a water related problem that I'm aware of yet, but then I try not wash my bikes to frequently and dont point directly at the hubs.

Had mine for two years - no problems and are still as smooth as when I purchased them.

Also look at XTR or XT hubs if reliability is your concern - I have XTR hubs on an older bike in excess of 5 years and they are excellent (I have serviced them twice - done myself since it is so easy with Shimano: old but proven technology)

I think those hubs are sub-standard and here's why.

1) Front hubs are front hubs. It's a tube, with two bearings either side and a little hole for the skewer to go through. What can go wrong? Of course they're smooth. The bearings are still within their useful life.

2) Rear hubs are a different story. The freehub body needs to rotate independently of the wheel and this requires a bearing of sorts and a seal between the hub body and freehub body. In the case of DT Swiss, they have two systems - the old Hugi system where the freehub body has two cartridge bearings and a clutch. Kinda OK, but prone to water contamination and rust then affects the clutch.

The other system, I think the 240 uses that system, the freehub body relies on an outboard cartridge bearing and an inboard roller bearing. The latter is rubbish. The seals are made from Swiss cheese - the type with the big holes in it. The rollers rust at a sniff of moist air and then rumble. It is a proprietary part. Proprietary parts are evil.

Get something that uses standard bearings througout and seals that keep water out, not in.

Any feedback.

Buy american classic front hub (disc130)

and dt swiss 240s rear hub

I think those hubs are sub-standard and here's why.

1) Front hubs are front hubs. It's a tube, with two bearings either side and a little hole for the skewer to go through. What can go wrong? Of course they're smooth. The bearings are still within their useful life.

2) Rear hubs are a different story. The freehub body needs to rotate independently of the wheel and this requires a bearing of sorts and a seal between the hub body and freehub body. In the case of DT Swiss, they have two systems - the old Hugi system where the freehub body has two cartridge bearings and a clutch. Kinda OK, but prone to water contamination and rust then affects the clutch.

The other system, I think the 240 uses that system, the freehub body relies on an outboard cartridge bearing and an inboard roller bearing. The latter is rubbish. The seals are made from Swiss cheese - the type with the big holes in it. The rollers rust at a sniff of moist air and then rumble. It is a proprietary part. Proprietary parts are evil.

Get something that uses standard bearings througout and seals that keep water out, not in.

The 240s works like the Hugi hub.

on your race wheels they are ok.

ita a lot of money if bought here. about 6k.

and at that price CKings makes them look like an inferior product..

Both just a huge wast of money. Honestly.

Had to service them after about 18 months of hard racing & training. Easy to service yourself. Get the bearings, a circlip pliers, download the "how to" and off you go.

Go get them!

those 240's are rubbish. Get rid of them immediately. Ill do you a favor and take them off your hands.

Jokes aside. They are fantastic.

I love reviews so many yay's vs so many nay's guess i would stick with rather getting XT or XTR wheelsets at least you know what your getting.