what are good training wheels

jeremyd

what are Pro Lite Como Alloy wheels like for training wheels. I don't have tons of money left (after buying my merlin baby) to spend. Is the price of R1500 a fair price for these including michelin tyres and 105 10 speed cassette?

What are the best value for money training wheels?
jeremyd2007-09-04 12:51:20

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still believe in eyelet rimmed rims with 32 spokes on Dura Ace or Ultegra hubs. Mavic Open Pro or DT Swiss are 2 excellent rims. I have a bullet proof set of DRC elegant rims, great value, I have done 50 000kms on them and they run true. They have DT Swiss Competition spokes and old 600 hubs. Elites train with old fashioned easily rebuildable wheels.

Beware most of the wheels that come with your typical "budget" bike. Light with fewer spokes. I have seen similar wheels (Open Pro/Ultegra) at R2000. You could buy the hubs and rims and have them built for about R3000. I once had a guy after a set of Ksurium SL's of mine for training (he weigh's 100kg) and had already trashed his old ksyrium freewheel hub. I had just had it rebuilt for R1500. Rim only! Spokes are like R60 each and they are very stiff - great for racing but for an enjoyable 3 -4 hours, nah. Don't be pressurised into getting cool/light/fast wheels for training - especially if you don't have a huge budget. Ask your LBS

the problem is all the LBS sell a particular wheel and each think theirs is the best. I weigh in at about 98kgs so this is definitely a consideration.

Jeremy, I ride on a set of Comos that I use as training wheels. I have done about 3000 kms on them and have not had any problems on them.

R 1500,00 is not a bad deal.

Id say any wheels that are very strong to handle sa's roads and heavyer than ur racing wheels. i race on easton acsents and train on mavic cxp 30 rims

I had a pair of Velocity Fusion rims built onto Dura Ace hubs 36 spoke, with DT Competition spokes, for a friend. He is 105kg. They are strong, not too heavy and they roll beautifully. To save bucks, 105 hubs will provide excellent value. You could also use the Velocity Deep V rim and use them for racing too.....

I found my set of Zonda wheels at best at training n racing .... I also have Mavic Ksyrium ES and SL ... found SL to be a very durable and strong wheel but very heavy for racing ... Racing I find Bora to be very responsive due to tubular tires and the high pressure the tubby can take!

He doesn't have the budget for Boras and you don't have the speed for them, let alone for SL's. Anyway this is not about you it's about a 98kg guy with a limited budget.

thanks buckstopper. My race wheels are a set of reynolds straus with tubbies. (came with the bike) and they roll beautifully, but I can't use them for training

To throw in another thing...what about having a set of wheels built. Will cost about R4000 in all. (don't really want to spend R4000 but in the very long run it may be cheaper)

Is this better than buying say the dura ace from solomons?
jeremyd2007-09-05 01:31:21

Dura ace hub equipped wheels for R2k is a bargain. For your 98kg spoke pattern needs to be at least 32 spoke 3 cross at back, 2 cross at front (NOT radial). You can always build stronger rims over later, eg Velocity Fusion at about R900 per wheel. Your main cost is the hubs. Dura Ace are as good as they come for training purposes. I assume the hubs at Solomon's would be 7700 in which case you can use 8, 9 and 10spd. If it is the 7800 I stand corrected but I think it will only take 10 spd and no junior cluster.

Hey Jeremy, its GregM. I had a Mavic Open pro wheel with Ultegra hub built for my IDT. It was less than R1000 and it rolls really well, is definately strong enough to handle your weight. I am sure the front will be quite a bit less. I recon you could come in under R2k for the set. Got the wheel built at Cycletech near your house.

You should defenitely not ride those Stratus tubbies for training! If you puncture, you're usually in trouble and will have to phone for a lift home, and a new tubby costs about R700 if you dont go through the hassle of fixing the puncture.

I used Campy Zondas for training & racing for some time, great wheels! The campy wheels wont work with your Shimano gruppo, though.

I would suggest that you get a set of clinchers you can race with as well. For some races you may not want to race the tubbies, like some races that dont allow team cars on the route with some spare wheels. Puncturing then would mean either walking, or phoning a friend. Also, when racing in the rain, I prefer clincher wheels because they brake better when wet.

So back to the clinchers, I've checked some of the on-line stores, Marvuli.com (local on line shop in PE) has a great special on Fulcrum racing 5's R1660 (I think excl vat). Looks like they have stock, so delivery will be 3 to 5 days. 

http://www.marvuli.com/shop/fulcrum-racing-5.html

http://www.totalcycling.com/images/large/18504_062112.jpg

(pic from totalcycling.com - they sell for about R2090 excl vat & shipping)
Christie2007-09-05 02:49:11

Christie thanks for the effort. Yup, definitely don't want to train on tubbies.I've been told to slime them so that even if you do puncture, better chance of getting home.

Not quite at the team car stage yet, but we live in hope.

Have the Fulcrum 5 Evolutions, used to ride Easton Circuits, weigh about 102 and will wholeheartedly endorse both of them on behalf of the BBC (big boys club), a bit over 3k for either

You can still pick up some of the older Velomax circuits at some shops for round 2k