Help to Diagnose my Injury

EarlyBird

Ok, so I think I know what’s wrong with me but would like to find out what the hubbers think

Symptoms:

•Feeling that you have a bad, persistent cramp in the leg (shin,clave,hammy and quad).

•Feeling pain when I sit – running from my lower back to my foot.

•Feeling of general weakness in the leg – no power in my right leg at all it even hurts when I cycle with the left leg only; feels like my muscles don’t get any blood flow / oxygen

•Feeling numbness or having a "pins and needles" sensation in the leg. – This now happens ALL the time even when I sleep

•Feeling a burning or tingling sensation that runs down the leg. – This now happens ALL the time even when I sleep

Treatment for the past 3 weeks:

• I put ice on my lower back / bum 3 – 4 times a day

• after ice I put iceman on.

• I stretch daily on a regularly basis.

• Doc gave me cortisone injection about 10 days ago .

• I’ve been drinking veltex anti inflammatory for 5 days,

• I’ve been off the bike for more than 2 weeks. Tried to cycle again Yesterday but it hurt like hell!!

• I go to the chiropractor 2 – 3 times a week

• Massage with arnica every day

Results so far:

Nothing is helping – it just keeps on getting worse and worse. Doc now wants to refer me to a neurosurgeon – I don’t like the sound of that

Would really appreciate your input !!

Thanks

sounds like a pinched sciatic nerve. best you follow the doc's advice and soo the neuro BUT if they mention the word "operate" get a second opinion - this should be treatable by a good chiro under guidance of the neuro

totally agree with slowpoke, sounds like a pinched nerve,i suffered from severe lumbar spine pain for a long time after a cricket injury, my doctor that time told me i have two options

1. operate

2. learn to live with the pain

someone recommended that i go see a chiropractor, after three treatments the pain was gone and i had learnt to "click" my lower back myself, so when ever the pain returns i just "click" my back and im good to go for a couple of weeks again

Correct !!

According to the doc and chiro it is the SI Joint causing all the problems. Today will be my 9th visit to the chiro but still in so much pain :’(

I was wondering if a CT scan or MRI will indicate where the sciatic nerve is pinching? And if we know where its stuck try ART (active release technique) to get it loose again??

I have experienced something simalar and have had 2 diagnosis.

1. The disc in my lower back L5-S1 was the problem and was replaced with a prosthesis.

Lower back ache dissapeared pain on top of leg went away intermittant cramps in calf stopped.Strength came back.

2. My left leg constantly cold gets pins and needles when walking... goes lame when cycling.

Peripheral arterial disease... Intermittant claudication.... caused by stenosis (narrowing of arterial walls)

Have to currently take blood thinners. Going for Arterior gram later. Might require a stent implant to open narrowing of arteries.

from the sounds of things... depending on your age... could be a circulatory problem... is the legs colour whiter to that of the other leg... if so... might indicate blood circulation problems..

Your GP normally checks blood viscosity and cholestorol etc ... then he might suggest arteriorgram (injecting dye into the main artery going into the leg under X-ray)... or he might refer you to a vascular surgeon.

Good luck.

Once you have symptoms of nerve compression you need and MRI. Do not have back manipulations untill a definite diagnosis has been made !

a MRI is probably the best diagnostic test you can have done but its a costly excersise unless its covered by your medical aid, Earlybird, have you experienced any pain relief when the chiropractor manipulates you? because when i had my problem it was like a light switch when my back clicked the pain was gone, as far as i understand active release is basically the same as what a chiropractor does to you except a doctor puts you under and pumps you full of a muscle relaxent to make the process easier (i speak under correction) what gravity sucks says is very true i would consider getting a second opinion from a Orthopedic surgeon and try to get a definitive diagnosis before deciding on the best treatment options

Sounds like a circulation problem to me now that you say its cold and pale!

PS do you get relief if you use pain killers or Anti inflamatories? my experience with this is if it is a nerve problem no pain meds work! if its muscular or skeletal pain meds work

Guest eyecandy

Def pinched nerve! B careful of chiros...they can sometimes make things worse especially if there is inflammation there. Take some cataflam for 5 days and get the swelling down 1st then try the chiro.

Nope.. pain killers and anti inflammatory not working at all. Not even 1%

Visits to Chiro not helping for the leg. Can feel a huge difference in my neck after she "clicks me in" but not the lower back / leg!

Be very careful of the chiropractic manipulations.

It is not good to have to many of them close together becasue although the back is being clicked back into place, it is done in a very forceful and traumatic way.

The ice will help for the muscle inflammation which can occur after a manipulation.

The best thing (in my humble opinion) is to get a proper MRI and get the neuro to diagnose and monitor treatment.

definitely either nerve or circulation. that it's cold and paler than the other leg actually sounds mroe circulatory. get proper scans done urgently - circulation is not something to play with.

Guest eyecandy

Get to an orthopaedic surgeon then. My mom had the same thing....her vertebrae were collapsing in her lower back and trapping the nerve which caused terrible pain down her leg. She had injections into her spine yesterday under GA to cauterize the nerve. Touch wood, she's had no pain since.