Thule advice please

chris_w_65

I am thinking of getting a Thule clip on bike rack

My car is a Golf 1, it has a large spoiler on the back but there is an 8mm gap between the spoiler and the boot lid.

Which Thule clip on racks will work? My spoiler shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully the clips can slip through an 8mm gap.

post-18048-021739200 1284132130.jpg

post-18048-013728700 1284132138.jpg

post-18048-000926100 1284132151.jpg

post-18048-065547300 1284132160.jpg

The thule 968 (Strap on) will probably fit. Thats what I use, although i dont have a spoiler,i dont see why the straps shouldnt fit througt the gap.

The thule 968 (Strap on) will probably fit. Thats what I use, although i dont have a spoiler,i dont see why the straps shouldnt fit througt the gap.

Please measure the thickness of the hook on the top strap including any rubber protection it may have and see if it is under 8mm

I just watched a video of someone fitting the rack. I see the other end of the strap has no fitting on so it would fit through the gap easy but it would be a bit of a pain unthreading the straps completely every time. It would be easier to just loosen them an slip the hooks out through the gap under the spoiler.

Also I see the rack sits quite high. What is the chance it would fit better with the straps going over the spoiler instead of beneath it?

Thanks.

The hook is curved so you will need about 25mm clearance to pass through the gap. Will definitely not fit through an 8mm gap.

The straps will definitely pass through. I dont think unthreading the straps everytime is particularly cumbersome. Will take you 2 mins tops.

Will not reommend putting the straps over the spoiler. You are guaranteed to damage the paintwork that way.

Suggest you see the agents at clearwater. Im sure they will have a test unit to try before you purchase.

The hook is curved so you will need about 25mm clearance to pass through the gap. Will definitely not fit through an 8mm gap.

The straps will definitely pass through. I dont think unthreading the straps everytime is particularly cumbersome. Will take you 2 mins tops.

Will not reommend putting the straps over the spoiler. You are guaranteed to damage the paintwork that way.

Suggest you see the agents at clearwater. Im sure they will have a test unit to try before you purchase.

Cool thanks, I have Googled and found the info for the agents. I see there is one in Fourways so I think I will try them.

I bought one yesterday, a 3 bike hang on. I took both cars there and managed to get one rack that can go on either car.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris...Hows the Spectra going? Chatted to Kevin the other - I settled for a 2010 Nebraska...

Dude I was going to say there is a thule shope in Cedar square.

You up for a spin arond Teak on Sunday?

Thanks Chris...Hows the Spectra going? Chatted to Kevin the other - I settled for a 2010 Nebraska...

Spectra is great, I have done around 650km already

Which 2011 model does the Nebraska compare to?

Dude I was going to say there is a thule shope in Cedar square.

Yes, I went to the Thule shop in Cedar square. Took both cars and managed to get one carrier that fits both cars

Spectra is great, I have done around 650km already

Which 2011 model does the Nebraska compare to?

Same as the Ventura...different colour for a way cheaper price!

Can you possibly take a pic of the roof rack on your Mk1 please...any possibility of it causing damage to the bootlid?