Cyclist knocked down - Swartkoppies Rd - Alberton

NotSoBigBen

LittleBen and I went out for an MTB ride through the Rietvlei Zoo farm yesterday evening at about 17:30.

As we approached Swartkoppies through the veld (going west just before the zoo farm) we saw loads of cars and ambulances stopped next to the road. There were loads of people around so we couldn't get very close. Did see a cyclist lying on a stretcher all dusty (a roadie) but didn't see evidence of any blood etc.

Anyone else see it or know if he was OK?

Hope he/she is okay...

I ride Tue & Thu mornings on Swartkoppies and the shoulder is (as most people know) quite wide, so it's something that you have in the back of your mind when riding on that stretch
Frosty2007-09-05 05:51:56

This really gets my blood boiling as this section of the road has been sign-posted and has a huge yellow lane. What are these guys doing?

I really hope this cyclist is OK and wish him a speedy recovery!!!

Please remember to wear lots of light and reflectors guys and gals. Rather go for the christmas tree look. That way you might avoid being hit by a car and you might just make somebody smile. No seriously, it's horrible to hear of cyclists being hit. But at the same time I see way too many cyclists out there on the roads that are not visible enough.

I cycled past this morning, and saw some flowers on the west-bound side of the road. Not sure if it has anything to do with Tuesday's incident - I hope not.

Has anyone heard anything, or know if the cyclist is okay?? Frosty2007-09-06 02:30:47

I'd like to know which group it is that rides on the R59 (Alberton/Verreniging). Guy called into John Robbie last week and mentioned that he regulary comes across a quite a big group there, he stopped them and asked if it was not illegal and they said they had special permission. Tradgedy waiting to happen.

I know that some of the Dimension Data guys ride on the R59 from the Klipriver offramp to the bridge over the Klipriver (about 1Km), and then get on the road that goes past the Rand Water pumping station and Kromvlei graveyard, coming out at the moto-x track.

that route rather than going up the steps
Frosty2007-09-06 02:51:52