So DSTV (Multi Choice) Has decided to "Copy Protect" its programs

Airborne

Not sure if anyone else has noticed that Multi Choice has decided to copy protect its content.

This means that you can no longer copy your programs from your recorder to DVD.

I have tried to copy both SuperCycling and the MiWay MTB series without any success.

I replaced my faulty DSTV decoder about 3 months ago so I figured that it may be related to that, however after some research I came across this article:

http://outthink.co.za/index.php/2010/08/goodbye-multichoice-and-dstv/

So a unlilateral decision was made by Multichoice to copy protect programming without notifying their subscriber base.

Perhaps a clever ploy to get us to buy PVR's?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recon its a ploy to get people to purchase PVR's, very sneaking but in a way makes business sense for them or do I mean more cash in their pockets :angry:

can you copy from PVR to Recorder or DVD?

Hey Mark,

Not sure, I have only tried from my HDD recorder to DVD.

It comes up with "copy protected content"

Go Figure!

Thats quite understandable because they don't want subscribers to copy stuff onto DVDs for non subscribing friends. Ah well, all I do is buy series and borrow it to somoene else. DSTV who???

I do not have DSTV, but I got an LG standalone PVR that allows me record any and all content from the HDD to the DVD-writer. Heard a lot of guys going this route with DSTV now.

Once again a blatant show of how a monopoly can do what they want. Got us over a barrel...

But its all the subscribers who are carrying them that makes them a monopoly. Vote with your money...show them the one fingered greeting.

y'all do realize that the decoding occurs within the PVR just before it get's sent to your TV <-- huge hint :rolleyes:

You need to be a bit more subtle than that. Ek's dom met drade en plugs.

y'all do realize that the decoding occurs within the PVR just before it get's sent to your TV <-- huge hint :rolleyes:

I doubt that its going to be that simple...

I doubt that its going to be that simple...

What it means is that once you "capture" the output from your dstv decoder/pvr it is sent as a video/audio signal to your TV. Thus if you feed it to something like a 3rd party HDD or DVD recorder (Lg, Samsung) or any other kind of recorder (VHS if you want) you can always record what is being broad-casted.

What it means is that once you "capture" the output from your dstv decoder/pvr it is sent as a video/audio signal to your TV. Thus if you feed it to something like a 3rd party HDD or DVD recorder (Lg, Samsung) or any other kind of recorder (VHS if you want) you can always record what is being broad-casted.

yaaa, obviously to another machine ... I was thinking way before that phase. Know about someone who managed to get DSTV (3 channels) going through a computer. A genius in IT! :D

You will not steal a bike, will you? So why would you want to steal programs by copying them? And realy, to have more TV programs saved in your PVR decoder than it can handle, you already don't have time to watch it, so what are you complaining about?

Keep it real. Don't copy illegally.

You will not steal a bike, will you? So why would you want to steal programs by copying them? And realy, to have more TV programs saved in your PVR decoder than it can handle, you already don't have time to watch it, so what are you complaining about?

Keep it real. Don't copy illegally.

Stealing , now that its mentioned, how much does stealing differs from extorsion?