Spruit Rules

Peach.

Lets hear what you have to say about passing and who must move off the track, and general Spruit junk.

Rule No 1.

If someone has gone to the effort of building a Jump/new section (off trail) and you dont like it cous it makes you crash, build your own NEW line and dont edit something cous you cant ride it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule No 2.

People taking a jump or coming down a sharp incline have right of way, even if it leads into a 2 way dual track. For the simple reason that people coming down can't brake !

(This happened a few weeks ago and 2 lads insisted on coming up the hill and cutting me off after I shouted "Coming through!", almost ended in disaster but no harm done, no one crashed :) )

i disagree with rule 2. rider comming down should give way - he/she has more options than rider going slowly up

i disagree with rule 2. rider comming down should give way - he/she has more options than rider going slowly up

Okay I'm talking about when a rider is already coming down a sharp hill and notices somebody else coming up or crossing paths with it, the law of gravity says "Nooooooo!" :)

People refusing to move out the way coming up/intersecting the path do so at their own peril.

Rule #144 : The guy looking completely out of control has right of way. That would be me.

Hahaha ! Sounds logical to me !

Rule No 2.

People coming down have right of way

This has been covered before, and whilst you may think you are right, the international convention is that those GOING UP have the right of way.

But carry on, when you hit me and and cripple me or damage my bike and I sue you, you can defend your point of view based on your Hub posts, and I will roll out evidence of MTB lightweights like Ned Overend and Gary Fisher to prove your liability.

Your insurance company will then repudiate your claim and you can spend the rest of your life paying my medical bills and provideing my children with an education.

OR, you can just google the matter and make up your own mind.

Cool, thanks for pointing that out to us Eddy, but what if the incline is too sharp to stop, there are no alternate directions to take and you are only aware of other riders once it is too late?

The spruit has not been marked and sign posted correctly throughout the entire length of the course seeing as it is not privately owned and therefore the rules and regulations (and lawsuits) seem a little grey or impractical in areas.

I believe this post was started to iron those out?

But carry on, when you hit me and and cripple me or damage my bike and I sue you, you can defend your point of view based on your Hub posts, and I will roll out evidence of MTB lightweights like Ned Overend and Gary Fisher to prove your liability.

Your insurance company will then repudiate your claim and you can spend the rest of your life paying my medical bills and provideing my children with an education.

OR, you can just google the matter and make up your own mind.

Damn!!! On a monday morning!

I am going to go an take my own life now - just in case i ever have to go down a single track and slip-up!

On another note - i think you'll find our legal system a lot more complex than noted....

On another note - i think you'll find our legal system a lot more complex than noted....

Indeed, but if you wish to argue the law of delict and the determination of damages, lets take it off-line ;)

Arkadion

Good Luck trying to convince people of your point of view.

I agree, but this is because I like riding downhill and do it as fast as possible. This means that I am often not in a position to yield to some guy coming up a steep section of trail at less than walking pace. However, if I am the guy slogging up the hill, I try to not spoil other peoples' fun as they are decending.

You are pretty new on the hub, but you will learn that most people on here are seriously opinionated, and some are just completely arrogant.

Mostly, a little respect and consideration is all that is needed. Sadly, those qualities seem to be lacking in South African cycling circles.

Rule #144 : The guy looking completely out of control has right of way. That would be me.

In that case you ALWAYS have right of way because you are permanently out of control...on and off the bike.

You are pretty new on the hub, but you will learn that most people on here are seriously opinionated, and some are just completely arrogant.

Yeah thanks Nolipoli, I noticed this very fast ! :)

I'm glad these rules are being pointed out, I just wish everyone will do it tactfully and without turning this forum into another youtube flaming marathon ;-)

Arkadion

I agree, but this is because I like riding downhill and do it as fast as possible.

Mostly, a little respect and consideration is all that is needed. Sadly, those qualities seem to be lacking in South African cycling circles.

Well,let me become one of those peeps.

Your initial comment about going downhill as fast as possible, I find it such a macho thing to say, it get's used a lot, people use it to prove how tough they are or they try and bring a point across as to how well and how fast they can go downhill, often this attitude comes with a few side effects.

Total lack of tolerance for others on the trail, this includes slower riders, people with dogs, hikers etc. etc.......

It proves how tough and inconsiderate and without respect these "tough" and often out of control (because of lack of real skill)macho men really are.

The bottom line remains, the guys going uphill have right of way, so all the macho dudes who couldn't give a tit about losing a second or two by slowing down when they are out on their weekend FUN RIDE, think twice when you hear of a rider ending up in ICU for a week because he collided with a macho man.

If you want to go fast downhill then do it in a race where everyone is going in the same direction or at least display some tolerance and mutual respect.

I have been on the Spruit numerous times where these macho men have forced me out of the way because they are like a race horse with blinkers on.

Most of the time these dudes are weekend warriors with the helmet sitting so skew that either the left or the right hearing device get's squashed in to a cauliflower.