Tracks4 Africa vs Garmin maps

Tieffels

I need to purchase maps for my 705 and wondering what the hub experience/recommendation is between these two, or are there other options. I'll be using the maps mainly for MTBing, doing a trip at the end of the year to Drakensberg/Transkei.

Thanks

If you want to do city navigation than the Garmin maps (The GPS device is normally pre-loaded with the street maps of South Africa)is comprehensive, but if you want to go off the beaten track then get T4A in addition.

You can pay for & download only the tiles you require from the T4A web site (instead of buying the whole CD) and toggle between the Maps options as required.

For Mozambique, Botswana & Namibia you only need T4A.

I use both. The topographic maps is very good for mountainbiking if you like going off the beaten track. T4A is very good and getting better and more complete as the users send in new tracks. BUT for serious in the bundus MTB ( www.beit2cape.blogspot.com ) there is nothing like a good old 1:50 000 paper map.

If you want to do city navigation than the Garmin maps (The GPS device is normally pre-loaded with the street maps of South Africa)is comprehensive, but if you want to go off the beaten track then get T4A in addition.

You can pay for & download only the tiles you require from the T4A web site (instead of buying the whole CD) and toggle between the Maps options as required.

For Mozambique, Botswana & Namibia you only need T4A.

The pre-loaded street maps on my unit is VERY basic, not sure if I must do something to unlock it or download it? The CD that came with the unit is only a very basic manual, the rest you have to do over the internet. Got Training center that way, and thought the maps would improve, but not the case. Am I missing something?

With the edges you only get a basemap, which is very basic. You need to purchase maps (T4A, SA streetmaps or Topographic if you want to have descent maps. Then you can load the sections that you are riding through/in from your mapsource software to your 705. You can have Topo and T4A on the unit at the same time, but need to "unmark" or switch the maps that you do not want to view off. I am riding from Haenertsburg to Zwaziland (Piggs peak) next week and will "pre-load" T4A gauteng& North, Some sections of the SA Topo as well as T4A Swaziland. I also will print a good selection of 1:50 000 for that route. T4A is relatively cheap, but SA Topo is quite expensive...

I don't think there are any way to "pirate" the Garmap maps, as it need to be unlocked for your specific GPS serial number. It is quite painfull if your edge packs up and you get a replacement unit. Garmin have to lock the maps for your stuffed edge and then unlock them for your new unit.

I have a Garmin Dakota 20, and it only has the 'world basemap'. i don't use it for driving, it's for adventureing and exploring.

so the two options are:

Garmin is about R1299 for SA topographic,

Tracks4Africa is R125 for western+northern cape.

I would rather not support Garmin as I think they are living in a dream world with their pricing. This stuff should be cheap, as our taxes paid for most of it to be compiled.

here are screenshots, clearly T4A doesn't include contours, which kinda sucks. 1:50 000 still rules.

post-1830-036760500 1284374404.jpgpost-1830-026573100 1284374414.jpg

http://www.t4a.co.za/misc/07_rsa_western_cape_north.gif

i follow this thread with interest

Guys, thanks for the advice and the effort with the screen shots Shebeen.

I'm leaning towards the T4A option, think I must just get the whole shebang in one go and get it over with and hopefully then be prompted to cycle in more remote locations.

Know both you guys do serious exploring, any routes along th Injasuti/ Nothern drakensberg region that you have on file?

Yes, those 1:50000 maps are lekker oldschool, as used with Jaco on his Lesotho trip in the beginning of the year.. Man, I miss that trip.. Jaco, good to hear you are back on the bike.

@Chickenrun

I've heard that one can now contact the geological survey in Mowbray and get the entire SA maps (1:50 000 I think) on CD...for very little if not free!

You have to supply your own CD's ...it takes 6 x CD to load all the maps.

Then you can use your own reading software and print A4 copies of the places you want to go...

I actually want to contact them and try this...

@Chickenrun

I've heard that one can now contact the geological survey in Mowbray and get the entire SA maps (1:50 000 I think) on CD...for very little if not free!

You have to supply your own CD's ...it takes 6 x CD to load all the maps.

Then you can use your own reading software and print A4 copies of the places you want to go...

I actually want to contact them and try this...

Cassie, if you end up going PLEASE PLEASE make me a copy as well, or just burn everything to DVD's afterwards and make a handy profit here on thehub.

I love that place! Its 6 dvds and it was about R70 a few years ago. Each 1:50 000 map is about a 5mb tiff file.

I think they might even have a postal service.

Its so cheap because our tax pays for it already. I'm told that garmin etc. Are all given the data and they mark up hectically because their value add is mainly a proprietry system. I seriously can't believe there aren't cracks for garmaps yet, I've been holding out for them!

@jaco-good to see you've swapped the crutches for a bike.I think you should keep going through swazi, that's the best part! What gps model do you use btw?

I have an Edge 305, 705 and a Dakota 10. My wife uses the 305 now. The Dakota is for the support vehicle. It is indeed better on the bike than on the crutches. Now it is hard work to get the fitness back...

• 3 weeks later...

I use both. The topographic maps is very good for mountainbiking if you like going off the beaten track. T4A is very good and getting better and more complete as the users send in new tracks. BUT for serious in the bundus MTB ( www.beit2cape.blogspot.com ) there is nothing like a good old 1:50 000 paper map.

Do you use T4A on your Edge 705?

here are screenshots, clearly T4A doesn't include contours, which kinda sucks. 1:50 000 still rules.

T4A does have/include contours, but its very isolated to specific areas of interest ...

Cassie, if you end up going PLEASE PLEASE make me a copy as well, or just burn everything to DVD's afterwards and make a handy profit here on thehub.

Jip, please - I will also buy a copy

I load both T4A & Topo on my edge and switch them on and off as needed. Topo can sometimes be overwelming with info on the screen.