bmx or trials bike

Slowbee

So a bloke wants to improve his bike handling skills. jump over things, balance the bike, wheelie just generally have fun outside my front door.

which does one look to getting - a bmx or a basic entry level trials bike?

any advice would be great

How about Dirt Jump. Was also looking at something to play around on and decided on DJ.

Have a look at youtube videos. You're not gonna balance or wheelie, but you will jump. Busy building up my DJ bike

Agree with Stewie.

But there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do most of the things you mention on your current rig.

Agree with Stewie.

But there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do most of the things you mention on your current rig.

no no no no .... I cant do these things on my current steed. I need to get a new bike to do these things.

what is a DJ bike ?

A DJ (dirt jump) bike... is basically an MTB with geometry suited more for getting some air. They usually have a 100mm travel fork on, and run either SS or 1x9 with a chain device.

You shoul check out the GT Ruckus SX on obike. Very good value for oney with the discount they're offering

http://www.obike.co.za/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=201&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

A cyclist must always find a reason to justify a new bike. I would agree that a DJ bike would be a better bet than a BMX, mainly because of the wheel size. When I still raced BMX as a kid there were things I could do with 20 inch wheels that felt really awkward on a mountain bike.

The Ryckus is a DJ bike, I think that would be your best option.

A Trials bike is very similar to DJ only real diff is the stem would be longer for better controll when flat and on the back wheel. Bikes are also built a bit lighter.

Trials specific bikes have no seat and are *** for riding around, but are awesome for trials. Trials you also want a rigid fork on.

patches the bike in your pic (avatar) is a DJ bike then ?

nope... that's a downhill bike... a lot heavier than a dirt jump, and harder to get airborne... but strong enought to handle the punishment

no no no no .... I cant do these things on my current steed. I need to get a new bike to do these things.

Far be it from me to convince someone not to buy a new bike! :lol:

But balancing, jumps and wheelies are just as easy on a "normal" MTB. A dirt jumper's saddle height is not good for wheelies.

Here's a couple of DJ bikes. Must be some of the coolest looking bikes.

They can also be used for urban riding.(Playing around in the city)

post-7040-085896600 1284370731.jpg

post-7040-047168500 1284370748.jpg

post-7040-084812200 1284370759.jpg

post-7040-038772300 1284370779.jpg

Higher saddle is easier for wheelie but low if better for the rest, also normal bikes geometry is *** for jumping. You can always put the seat up on a jump bike, more than enough to do wheelies

plus a high saddle while jumping can end badly for dudes.... leaving you with that sick feeling in your stomach, hahaha!