Lactic Acid / Acid Reflux

david16v

Anyone also have the same problem?

Do a MTB ride on a Saturday of around 50km - 3hrs (ascent of 1300m) Med to fast pace

Also do a MTB ride on a Sunday of around 40km - 2hrs (ascent of 500m) Fast pace

On the Monday and or Tuesday I have a constant burn in the wind-pipe.(indigestion)

It`s not heart burn, maybe the lactic acid from the rides could be playing a part?

Drinking milk helps but maybe there is a more sophisticated answer to this? :blink:

Muscles are not sore at all.

Any thoughts???? :unsure:

I'm not exactly a pro on this one, but lactic acid isn't likely to affect the ph of your digestive tract.

I've not had heartburn or indigestion to test it on, but a lemon juice and water mix is supposed to assist your body to correct it's ph. Try mixing the juice of half a lemon in a cup of warm water and let us know if it works :)

There's been a lot of talk about our body's ph and how our diet affects it. You can find a basic list of acid and alkaline foods here

http://www.energiseforlife.com/list_of_alkaline_foods.php

Faulty reflux valve perhaps? Just don't have it tightened by operation!! This is predominantly caused by stress. Gaviscon liquid and base powder can help reduce the symptoms....

Will have nothing to do with lactic acid, bud... the only time I feel like that is if my juice has been to flippin' sweet, and then it's not two days later.

You sure you don't ride with your mouth open and swallow bees and wasps??? :-)

Will have nothing to do with lactic acid, bud... the only time I feel like that is if my juice has been to flippin' sweet, and then it's not two days later.

You sure you don't ride with your mouth open and swallow bees and wasps??? :-)

Couple of bugs in between the teeth! :D

Couple of bugs in between the teeth! :D

Until you've swallowed one, jest ye not! I think the face is something like this.... :blink:

Hi David, saw the post and thought maybe i could assist, anyway just wanted to point out lactic acid resides in the blood stream wont impact your digestive tracts.

Ok so let me ask you a few questions.

1. How intense was your breathing? and what were the weather conditions, dry humid hot etc, Believe it or not, this can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

2. What did you eat 24 hours before the event, each and everything, pre and during

3. Another option is a bug, there is a stomach virus flying around the country according to my doctor colleagues, and they mention burning sensation, and or cramps.

4. Is this the first time it has happened or does it happen consistently.

all the best

m

Hi David, saw the post and thought maybe i could assist, anyway just wanted to point out lactic acid resides in the blood stream wont impact your digestive tracts.

Ok so let me ask you a few questions.

1. How intense was your breathing? and what were the weather conditions, dry humid hot etc, Believe it or not, this can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. It`s a pretty medium to fast paced ride. Up the hills my breathing is quite heavy.

2. What did you eat 24 hours before the event, each and everything, pre and during

24hrs before = Breakfast - oats

Lunch - 3 x sammies (peanut butter and jam)

Supper - Pasta

On the Saturday morning before the ride - oats

During ride - Epic pro all-in-one and Date bars/Mule bar.

3. Another option is a bug, there is a stomach virus flying around the country according to my doctor colleagues, and they mention burning sensation, and or cramps.

Funny you mention number 3, after ride had a recovery drink and some food. Had a pain across my stomach, but the pain was not too hectic.

4. Is this the first time it has happened or does it happen consistently.

It has happened two to three times before.

all the best

m

You have a very well known problem that we encounter in endurance athletes.

It is called Exercise induced Gastritis.

Basicly: Exercise decrease blood flow to the stomach, this causes a higher acid production in your stomach and a relative drop in the layer that protects your stomach from the acid, thus giving you a gastritis.

You have a very well known problem that we encounter in endurance athletes.

It is called Exercise induced Gastritis.

Basicly: Exercise decrease blood flow to the stomach, this causes a higher acid production in your stomach and a relative drop in the layer that protects your stomach from the acid, thus giving you a gastritis.

This sounds right!

Sounds like I need to keep up my food intake while riding?

There where a few studies done on this and the only deffinative treatment that we found for this problem was the periodic use(a few days before and until a day or two after the event) of a medicine called Ranitidine/Cemetidine.

There where a few studies done on this and the only deffinative treatment that we found for this problem was the periodic use(a few days before and until a day or two after the event) of a medicine called Ranitidine/Cemetidine.

Read up about this yesterday. Sounds like something they give to lab rats :P

Anyone also have the same problem?

Do a MTB ride on a Saturday of around 50km - 3hrs (ascent of 1300m) Med to fast pace

Also do a MTB ride on a Sunday of around 40km - 2hrs (ascent of 500m) Fast pace

On the Monday and or Tuesday I have a constant burn in the wind-pipe.(indigestion)

It`s not heart burn, maybe the lactic acid from the rides could be playing a part?

Drinking milk helps but maybe there is a more sophisticated answer to this? :blink:

Muscles are not sore at all.

Any thoughts???? :unsure:

Hi there,

I have been experiencing the same issues the day after the 2009 DC and started to become progressively worse.

What I did notice is that this happens when I eat things like oily food (fried chips, crumbed chicken burgers etc etc), oats, bread food containing yeast.

I used to pop Gaviscon like smarties before I started to make the connections and since I have cut bread, oily foods and oats out of my diet, i have not needed to use Gaviscon even though I have a tube with me just in case. I also noticed that red wine and beer for some reason increases reflux as well. Such a shame really <_< <_<

Have a look at the similarities between your event and my event here:

Dinner the night before the DC; Chicken Pasta

Breakfast on the day of the event: 2 packets of Oats (choc flavor)and 2 cups of coffee

Dinner the night after the event: cheese and ham sarmies (was to tired to make descent dinner) :D

I was sent for X-rays, Barium Scans (which costs a crap load of money when not covered my medical aid) and everything was declared healthy and clear.

The results did indicate that my PH balance was way to high and this caused the reflux but the foods trigger the feeling and burning sensations.

It has been about 4-5 months since everything started to clear and I will keep away from anything that contains yeast and or deep fried.

I am not sure what triggered this initially and the doctors are also not able to say.

The weather was about 34-35 with a dry SE breeze and I was close to the point of de-hydrating, so I would assume that had an influence.

Good luck there mate, I feel your pain

Jacques