Slicks on a29er MTB vs. Roadbike

zappa

I have rather stupidly entered a triathlon. The question now is do I buy an el cheapo second hand road bike or get another wheelset with slicks and a smaller cassette for my 29 inch MTB.

Pros for a roadbike:

1)Hopefully a bit faster but I'm not going to win anyway so totally irrelevant.

2)Maybe I won't be the only dork on a full suss 29er doing a triathlon.

Pros for wheelset:

1)Only one bike to spend money on.

Your views and help please.

as far as I understand you can fit some road tyres onto a 29er rim...the only issue is rim width diameter is the same...depending on how strong you are gearing might not be an issue. Only outlay is a set of tyres.

I have got tubeless tyres on, so can't just change tyres. Will require a new wheelset. So far consensus leaning towards another bike.

Use the right tool for the job. Always!

Unless of course you were planning on doing the swimming bit in baggies and the running part in slip slops.

I think you will be the only dork on a 29er MTB. Get a road bike. Just do it. You can get a bike for the price of a wheelset.

as far as I understand you can fit some road tyres onto a 29er rim...the only issue is rim width diameter is the same...depending on how strong you are gearing might not be an issue. Only outlay is a set of tyres.

Can't be as a road bike is closer to 28" than 29", well thats what the measurements say

All depends on your level of commitment. If you're doing it for a laugh, take the 5 min time penalty on do it on the full sus with gumboots.

Otherwise borrow a roadbike for the race..not much to really go wrong as you're not ina bunch.

Can't be as a road bike is closer to 28" than 29", well thats what the measurements say

Both road wheels and 29er wheels are 700c (have a bead seat diameter of 622mm), I have fitted and ridden a 29er tyre fitted to a Alexrims R500 wheel before. Also tried a " 28" " tyre as well fitted as well.

29er is just a big 700c tyre (sales lingo for the next big thing)

If it was just another road race, you could have pulled off the tyres on 29er rims option, but since it is a triathlon it is a different story. Triathletes place more importance on what kit you are wearing, what bike you are riding and what wet suit you own. Your actual results are of no consequence. So, if you want to stand half a chance in this triathlon, I suggest you yet a cheapish road bike. You won't win the best kitted out triathlete award, but you won't get as many dirty looks as you would riding the 29er.

On the other hand - seeing the looks from the triathletes as you pass them on your 29er might be worth it.

If it was just another road race, you could have pulled off the tyres on 29er rims option, but since it is a triathlon it is a different story. Triathletes place more importance on what kit you are wearing, what bike you are riding and what wet suit you own. Your actual results are of no consequence. So, if you want to stand half a chance in this triathlon, I suggest you yet a cheapish road bike. You won't win the best kitted out triathlete award, but you won't get as many dirty looks as you would riding the 29er.

On the other hand - seeing the looks from the triathletes as you pass them on your 29er might be worth it.

Hopefully I can pass at least one!

Keep the Nobbies on the 29'er and I am sure you will still pass the odd guy on a road bike ...