seat - men or womans seat?

foxy25

Hi guys is there a differance in woman or men road bike seats??

Can a lady use a male seat? Sounds dumb but i would appreciate some advice.

Saddles are the one part of a bike where brand, price, bling and everything else is irrelevant. If it's comfortable, it's right.

That said, ladypersons are different to gentlemanpersons. Ladypersons, aside from some more fascinating differences, have wider hips, so other things being equal, a ladyperson will require a wider saddle to support her ischial tuberosities (sit bones).

Happy saddle hunting!

James

Bikemonster is correct - the width is the first thing to check and saddles generally come in 3 widths: 130, 143 and 155. Most bike shops have a gel gadget which you can sit on and it leaves indentations which they measure to get an idea of how wide apart your sit bones are. When you get measured, ask if you can test ride a saddle because you'll need an hour or two before you can really tell if it works for you or not.

I had a look at a recent event and the selle italia ladies gel saddle was by far the most popular. I use the Specialized Ruby on my road bike and a specialized Jett on my mtb.

Bikemonster is correct - the width is the first thing to check and saddles generally come in 3 widths: 130, 143 and 155. Most bike shops have a gel gadget which you can sit on and it leaves indentations which they measure to get an idea of how wide apart your sit bones are. When you get measured, ask if you can test ride a saddle because you'll need an hour or two before you can really tell if it works for you or not.

I had a look at a recent event and the selle italia ladies gel saddle was by far the most popular. I use the Specialized Ruby on my road bike and a specialized Jett on my mtb.

I think that is called an 'Assometer'

Ladies saddles are slightly shorter as well as wider.

Very few shops have test saddles - very expensive unless supplied by the distributer.

Some shops do have Fizik test saddles though. Bright orange ones.

Beg, borrow or steal a few as trial and error can get expensive.

Ladies spec saddle is a must. The mens saddle will tenderise things it shouldn't. Founds the ladies serfas saddle quite decent for my wife. She sat and loved it from the first second. Like bike monster said, price is irrelvant, if you bum likes it, buy it.

I picked up a Silverback Saturn today for my girlfriend, apparently the standard seat is a unisex seat. She hasn't ridden it yet. Do you think she will manage ok with the standard seat?

DUnno Chris. When she sits on it she will found out quickly enough. IF she is going to ride it all the time, best to get a ladies one I reckon.

You have two sides of the fence on this one, the Specialized side which works on width with refernce to your sitbones and then the Italians like Selle Italia, Selle San Marca, Pro Logo and Fizik who work on flexibility. In a way the Fizik group actually says that while you sit and bend over your sitbones are not taking the pressure anymore, I have done the test with the Fizik guys and it makes sense.

The spesialized theory also makes sense, so who cares what who says as long as its comfortable for you its 110% :D

Well, i tried the seat (mens seat). And no problem. It is a bit wider than my old one and feels ok. Wil try it on a long ride tonight.

My wife is riding a Velo men's seat at the moment, granted she is only starting out (8Km max at a time, 1 to 3 times a week), but she feels it's fine. The saddle flexes a lot so I think that it makes up for the shape. Have taken her to CWC to check the ladies saddles out that they have. Will most likely get her one once the distances become longer and more frequent.

As most guy's have said - if it's comfortable, keep it B)