SS chains

Hairy

Km to be expected  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Km to be expected on a well maintained SS chain

• Less than 1000km's
    • 1000 - 2000km's
    • 2000 - 3000km's
    • SS chains don't die they just retire and let other chains also come out for a ride

Hi all

Would anybody out there be able to give me an estimate on just how long one can expect a SS chain to last before replacing ... riding is a mixture between road and MTB.

I just replaced the chain and freewheel now (Bike is second hand) and I am not sure how far the previous combo was on there for.

Regards

H

I replace my ss chain twice a year, the thick kmc chains I use cost R90 so its really no issue if it is replaced too early. I also don't have a computer on my ss mtb, so I can't tell you a km reading. I use the chrome plated chains which look and shines great after the wash I give the bike after a ride. My rule with chains: When in doubt replace it, it's a consumable, which is critical to your bike's performance.

My replacement chain was also the KMC in Silver.

I do about 900km to 1200km per month, mostly road work with a bit of dirt thrown in for good measure in the week and then play on the mountains most weekends.

I can't speak from experience, but because there's no gear changing taking place ... which of course implies your chainline is always ideal, I'd guess your chain should outlast any "geared" chain ... and I get between 3000 and 5000km on my geared chain (depending on conditions of course, as one long muddy session will kill a chain - which is why I swop out my "good" chain for a cheaper "disposable" when I know it's gonna be wet ... eg. Sani2c). There's hardly any tar in that mileage.