New Bike or SImply Upgrade Existing

lloydkayak

I have had my current bike for sometime but my new found sport, white water kayaking, has taken preference until just recently.

I want to get back into mountain biking and have some funds around to do some minor upgrading, but now thinking it may be better to buy a whole new bike B)

I am over 100kg and 6f3" ie. big lad and have a Merida Matts TFS 100V with V brakes, deore groupsets a nice large and fairly light frame but what always has bugged me since I bought the bike is the absolutely rubbish Suntour Fork w lockout. I feel its pretty useless in carrying my weight effectively. I don't really feel the need to upgrade other components as I quite enjoy the bike.

At the moment I really only do relaxed cross country riding with my girlfriend but we are picking up our riding and will probably start doing more challenging stuff soon. I have noticed a major difference in her rock shox air fork on her tiny silverback dakota(decent I would say).

The Question:

Is it worth finding a used fork on this website to chuck onto my current bike (There seems to be a manitou minute for a good price) or do I rather fork out R5000 or so again and get something like the Silverback Nabraska thats currently available in the classefieds section??? :blink:

Final question : If I do decide to upgrade the fork, what specs must I check to see that it fits... totally clueless here

Thanks in advance

I have had my current bike for sometime but my new found sport, white water kayaking, has taken preference until just recently.

I want to get back into mountain biking and have some funds around to do some minor upgrading, but now thinking it may be better to buy a whole new bike B)

I am over 100kg and 6f3" ie. big lad and have a Merida Matts TFS 100V with V brakes, deore groupsets a nice large and fairly light frame but what always has bugged me since I bought the bike is the absolutely rubbish Suntour Fork w lockout. I feel its pretty useless in carrying my weight effectively. I don't really feel the need to upgrade other components as I quite enjoy the bike.

At the moment I really only do relaxed cross country riding with my girlfriend but we are picking up our riding and will probably start doing more challenging stuff soon. I have noticed a major difference in her rock shox air fork on her tiny silverback dakota(decent I would say).

The Question:

Is it worth finding a used fork on this website to chuck onto my current bike (There seems to be a manitou minute for a good price) or do I rather fork out R5000 or so again and get something like the Silverback Nabraska thats currently available in the classefieds section??? :blink:

Final question : If I do decide to upgrade the fork, what specs must I check to see that it fits... totally clueless here

Thanks in advance

Hi there

I was in the same predicament I had a rockshock tora air shock as far as I'm concerned al that shock does is adjust the travel, it squeaked like hell. I have put a fox rl 100 on and it is a different bike. I can set the pressure much lower and the travel is plush( nice and smooth)

If you do get a new fork you will have to make sure it can take a v-brake

if you buy a second hand fork make sure there are no leaks and that the stanchions (the bits that move up an down in the leg of the shock )are scratch free also very important the steerer section must be long enough 235mm is usually a good length to start with buying a fork is tricky business best to get a mate to help you

alternatively you could upgrade your brakes to disc ??

You wont pick up a bike with a decent air shock new for under 10 grand

Fox is generally more expensive and more costly to service I also have a reba team which is a great shock got it brand new for R4200

any other questions I can try answer for you..

answer is simple with your weight you dont want v brakes, chuck the old since most v brake models can't be upgraded to disc.

Get a bike with hydrolic disks you will have so much more confidence on technical downhill and rough stuff.

Wapad makes good points...

A decent fork on the front, especially if it's to replace an entry-level jobbie, will make an unbelievable difference to your ride - so is worth serious consideration.

I guess it comes down to what you can get for =/-R5k... Have a shop around - and then weigh up the pros and cons of spending cash for a 2nd hand fork - vs a new bike...

My 2 cents - for 5k, you might get a new bike - but it's frame etc. will be of such a level, that you won't really be able to justify upgrading any of the componentry on it - beyond what it comes with... Which means that if you do get very serious - you might start looking at getting a better bike again, but then you'd probably be looking at spending considerably more that R5k... ;)

Conversely, if you can shop around - you should be able to pick up a decent 2nd shock, possibly for half that price... Put that on your ride - and you'll be able to ride many more happy miles - until the bug bites seriously, and you upgrade to a better bike, and spend considerably more than R5k ;)

One thing though - if the v-brakes are doing what they're supposed to (i.e. stopping you), then I'd wouldn't worry about upgrading them... Disc brakes are expensive - and you'd want a decent hydraulic, not mechanical discs at that... Considering what you're looking for now - stick with what you have - barring the fork... Worry about hydraulic discs.... when the bug bites and you upgrade and spend considerably more than R5k :D ...

Good luck!

Rodti some valid point but also some points i dont agree with.

For example i bought a cheapish silverback phoenix. which i throroughly enjoyed, thought the frame would be heavy and bulky. Stripped the components off and wheighed the frame L frame 1.7kg. I nearly ordered a morewood kwela frame for 6.5k frame only and that would have shaved off a whole 100 grams. Bear in mind that frame is made of silverbacks ovaltech 2 alloy and not their top of the range alloys. So a relativly cheap silverback nabraska/ventura should have a frame that wheighs basically the same as the morewood. Now yes geomitry differs and everyone has their prefrences. But what i am getting to is dont think because you get a cheapish bike you end up with crap. Its simply a case of other manufactures being completly overpriced in my opinion.

Now back to the rest of the topic.

I wheigh 96kg I though V brakes were fine till i tried hydrolic discs. And OMG what a difference I could never recommend someone staying with V-brakes unless you wheigh under 70kg. If you are only used to V brakes you might think they are fine, till your realise how much control disc brakes give you. Especially in the wet.

I agree a fork is one of main essential upgrades on any bike. but also remember if he sticks to V brakes he will need a v brake compatible fork, those are few and far between and second hand very tough to get hold off.

So for 5k search the hub for silverback phoenix someone had large stock avail for 5k 2010 models, deore components, suntour xcr fork (which will do the job its one of the better cheap forks out there, but you will want to upgrade the fork soon) hydrolic breaks etc.

And like i said dont make the mistake of thinking its a 5k bike remember last year they sold for between 6.8 - 7.8k depending, and the frame is worth upgrading, since it will always make a difference putting on better components. If you feel the need for a new bike and you already have good components simply buy another frame and build your components over onto the new frame.

BTW my girl has a 2010 nabraska she loooooves that bike. And its light for the price you pay.

I had the phoenix and built the parts over to an Anthem X If you can afford it go with a nabraska, they are very very decent. GForce alloy, slx/XT groupset and a very comfortable geomitry.

Thanks for the help...

I am obviously itching to get a new bike :P Who isn't

I think I will look around a bit and see what I pick up first : a used fork or used bike for a reasonable price.

I say used bike as when we got my girls bike I had just paid R4.5k for the Merida (a good while back), I picked up her small Silverback Dakota with better components and a really decent fork for R3.2k used and it was clear from the beginning how much we scored...

There seems to be quite a number of decent used bikes to be had and for the amount of riding I will realistically be doing, used is probably smarter too. I don't see us putting crazy mileage on the bikes but want something comfortable and capable for when we do ride.

I definately see the merit in good hydraulic disk brakes at stopping my hefty frame vs her 55kg one :lol:

I will try take a look at the Nabraska for sale near me if it doesn't sell out too fast... R4.5k seems a good price if its in good nic

Just saw that its a Large... I doubt that size will cut it ... oh well

Anyone know a good bike shop in Gauteng preferably East rand or Vaal Triangle area...

Iloydkayak - good luck with your search! Be patient, and you will find - you'll soon realise that half the fun comes in picking up that 2nd gem, or perfect new ride!

I cannot argue with anything that Covie has said above - in particular the part about the V-brakes, since I've never spent enough time on a disc bike - so cannot comment on the difference between the two - whereas he clearly can!

Moral of the story being - there's always two sides - do your research, and make educated decisions [in short, abuse theHub/Hubbers for information :D ]

Agree with Rodti :D half the fun is in the shopping, then you spend hours convincing yourself your new shiny kit is'nt what its supposed to be and then you find devious ways to take every available cent to upgrade your baby B)

Although dont want to be the bringer of doom and gloom but your 6.3 thats a XL size bike if i dont have it wrong. Going to be tough to source that secondhand?

maybe spend like 1k on a frame (like cwc sells sinstei)

1.5k on hydrolic brakes

1.5K on a fork

1k on a wheelset

And build the rest of your componenets over so you can upgarde them when the cash is avail.

Ok... Upon realising that for the time being I am nothing but a weekend warrior that wipes out often because I over estimate my own awesomeness B) It doesn't make sense to upgrade a bike I consider decent until I feel I have to... The money is actually not such a big stress.

Solomon's offered a Rock Shox Tora SL, coil with lockout and "preload" i think he called meaning its adjustable and it has V brake compatibility for R2000

Might be steep and I am not sure that it will be THAT different to the current XCM suntour but probably will be different enough???

Guess lets keep looking I suppose :) Amen to the comment about trying to find a secondhand XL setup hahaha

I got a tora air for 2k, if possible go for the air, and its actually a bloody descent fork, (not sure about the coil version)

I actually chose the tora. And its great value for money especially considering we are both above the 80k mark which most forks seem to be designed for.

Covie, Where did you get the fork at that price ??? :huh:

I have been told that the coil version of the fork is also brilliant value for money but that it should be closer to 1k rather than 2k.

Is there anyway to check if a bike is definately too small? I might go past the Nabraska for sale in Benoni if the guy doesn't sell it. When I am there, is there a way to check?

I am 1.9m tall, I think it might be on the lower bracket of the XL sizing??

I am 186 and I fit quite comfortably on a large not sure how much the extra 4cm will make a difference, maybe ask the guy with the nabraska if you can take it for a 20km ride. You should have a good idea then if you get neck/back/shoulder pains from the bike being to small.

Got the shock my local LBS but I get good deals from them since they bankrupt me monthly these days. I see buycycle has a tora air for around the 2.4k mark. Maybe drop chris willemese from CWC a mail and ask him whats the best deal he can broker for you. CWC go out of their way to get you goodies for the best price possible.

http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/suspension-front/rockshox/rockshox-tora-sl-sa-100-suspension-fork-rockshox.html

see cwc has a recon silver not sure how it compares to the Tora, btw make sure if you get the coil tora you get the 318 and not the 302, if they still use those designations. Lots of bad reviews on the 302 lots of good reviews on the 318