Wich size to take? Please help

GYM JUNKY

Hi, Solomans measured my legs and it works out exactly on a size 60, so I bought a Trek size 60, but the stem (100mm) is still too long and my back hurts..

Is it wise to take a size 58? Is it better to take a size smaller frame and then take a longer stem with the seatpost a little bit longer? or must I take a size 90 stem?

Personally I think a smaller bike will handle better...

Thanks

Marco

post-18045-073377900 1284465843.jpg

Sizing a bike based on leg size alone often won't work.

I'm 189cm with a 94cm inseam and I ride a size 56 top tube (though I need a geometry with a longer head tube and seat tube).

Edman and I arethe same height and ride the same size 56cm. But you have to bear in mind a Raleigh 56 and Trek 56 are different size bikes.

I enjoy a smaller bike myself. I should be on a 56cm but I prefer 54cm but now have a 53cm :rolleyes:

How long is your stem and how far back is your seat then?

Sizing a bike based on leg size alone often won't work.I'm 189cm with a 94cm inseam and I ride a size 56 top tube (though I need a geometry with a longer head tube and seat tube).

Edman and I arethe same height and ride the same size 56cm. But you have to bear in mind a Raleigh 56 and Trek 56 are different size bikes.

Good example on how people differ, I am 186cm with a 90 inseam and ride a 57.5cm.

Answer your question, it is much more important to have the right frame size. Stem is easy to chop and change.

You are obviously quite tall to be riding such a frame. A stem of 100mm could even be too short. You don't say which part of your back hurts. A short stem could cause upper back pain. Back pain could also be caused by the fore/aft (I think that is the correct term) position of the seat.

There is more to bike set up than using leg length. That is normally the starting point to determine frame size. They should do a proper set up of the bike taking stem, top tube, saddle position, saddle height, crank length etc into account.

If you are new to cycling, the back pain could simply be poor conditioning.

You are obviously quite tall to be riding such a frame. A stem of 100mm could even be too short. You don't say which part of your back hurts. A short stem could cause upper back pain. Back pain could also be caused by the fore/aft (I think that is the correct term) position of the seat.

There is more to bike set up than using leg length. That is normally the starting point to determine frame size. They should do a proper set up of the bike taking stem, top tube, saddle position, saddle height, crank length etc into account.

If you are new to cycling, the back pain could simply be poor conditioning.

Okay, thank you for the help.. What I'll do is ask them to do a proper bike fit and see, I have been riding for a long time, but only bought the road bike 5 months back

I had both my bikes set up by www.cyclefit.co.za. Richard 0725662925. It takes an hour and he checks everything, starting from the correct cleat set up. Well worth the R350. They are based in Northcliff-JHB. Not sure if that suites you?

I had both my bikes set up by www.cyclefit.co.za. Richard 0725662925. It takes an hour and he checks everything, starting from the correct cleat set up. Well worth the R350. They are based in Northcliff-JHB. Not sure if that suites you?

Cool, thank you