tour de korea stage 6

Chris Willemse

Stage 6 Joengub - Gangjin 162.8km

We woke up at 6.30 local time and guess what. NO RAIN. We left for breakfast at 7 am. Breakfast was about 2km from our hotel. We were all happy that we dont have rain again.

BUT BUT BUT BUT. When we left the breakfast hall and got outside the rain was back again and just started to rain harder and harder and beleive me it is still raining - 12 hours later. This is now going on since Sunday.

Popey, not even Brackenfell can have so many rain.

The race started at 10 with a course of not to many climbs.

A few brakes went from the start but were everytime brought back by the peleton. After about 30km a break of 13 riders went which included Hanachi. They were soon joint by another 6 riders and we all thought that this will be the brake of the day.

At 1 stage they had over the 4 min on the main peleton but at about 40km to go David decided that our CSC/Marcello team must start working in the front. The team worked like you have never seen before and brought the brake back to under 1min with 15km to go.

Our team kept the presure high and caught the brake with less than 500meters to the finish. Our team finished all in the bunch and I am still comfident that we are going to pull something off.

Stage 7 starts again at 10 and will be from Gangjin - Hamyang and will cover a distance of 183.2 km with a very steep climb after 155km - 28km before the finish.

We are sleeping again on the floor tonight but it is a very clean place. The food are nice with plenty RICE and RICE and more RICE. No jokes. We are getting good food and the organising is also good.

The team are all on the internet and will soon be on the way to the hard bed on the floor.

Till later. Cheers

Chris