HELP PLEASE

ikes786

Hi Guys

I require some urgent advice , I am a novice cyclist and some time back purchased a Raleigh RC2000 , I am much more serious about my cycling now and thus want to upgrade , could some please suggest what would be the best next bike to move on to ( with a budget of around R 15 000).

As well if some could suggest the correct frame size for my height ( 1.87 m).

Cheers Guys it is much appreciated.

Welcome to the hub Ikes!

Check in the for sale section - you can pick up some really nice second hand bikes for R15k (that's if you want a second hand bike).

Size wise... probably a 56 -58 cm I'd think :huh:

Good luck!

Hi Ikes

There are many websites out there that will help you to determine the correct bike size to fit you - you measure every conceivable part of your body and it tells you what frame size will suit you best! Search on the hub for the sites.

I bought a KHS Flite 700 for R6500 about 3 years ago and it has been a GREAT bike - love it. If you have the budget, then you can look at spending as much as 15K but I am not sure you need to spend that much if your last bike was an RC2000 to notice a massive difference.

Hi Ikes

Welcome to the hub

Its not always about the inseam , its about your reach as well, so top tube is important as well...good luck.

thanks for all the help guys...

Still searching for a bike though , can anyone suggest a particular brand which gives good bang for your buck ....

I have been looking and the Merida and Felt bikes seem quite good.

Best value for money is probably a Silverback, the problem comes in when you want to sell it, very few seem to want to ride a Silverback.

I'd advise you stick to the bigger brands, Merida, Felt, etc they are easier to sell and at some stage you going to want to sell it.

If you can go for a carbon bike, no point in upgrading now and then upgrading next year again -IMO.

Don't know if you'll find a new carbon bike for R15k but on the hub you'll find a good 2nd hand carbon bike for R15k.

What you could also do is a buy a good carbon frame and then move your components from the RC2000 to the new bike and then upgrade those components when you have more money to spend.

I'm not sure where you're based, but if you want new, I've been very happy with Solomons - I bought a 'previous years model' Trek (full carbon, with full Brotrager and Ultegra gear) from them for a very reasonable price - if you don't need the very latest 'tube shapes', you can pick up great bargains with 'last years models'.

Or there's Cajees - but make sure you know exactly what you want, and how much it's worth if you use them!

My money is on (or rather has been spent with) Solomons - either in Pretoria or Woodmead - and I've always got good advice and (I believe) a good deal.

Hi Guys

I require some urgent advice , I am a novice cyclist and some time back purchased a Raleigh RC2000 , I am much more serious about my cycling now and thus want to upgrade , could some please suggest what would be the best next bike to move on to ( with a budget of around R 15 000).

As well if some could suggest the correct frame size for my height ( 1.87 m).

Cheers Guys it is much appreciated.

I am 1.88 and have a 60cm Trek, but a 57.5 Pinarello.

The bike size depends more on your leg's length than overall lenght.

Get it measure profesionally at a reputable LBS, then you know for sure....

Brands is like anything else in life, all relative. You will get 1000 different answers to that question, especially on the hub. Buy what you can afford by looking at the best you can get for your money. If you have 4/5 options, post it here and get proper advice. Be specific though with specs of the bike frame, wheels, groupset etc.. What seems a good deal might not be the best you can get.. If you are not in a hurry, shop the hub and you are bound to find a bargain for that money sooner or later.

Different story if you want to go new, but for that R , you might have to settle for another starter (first time) bike.

I upgraded from a Raleigh RC3000 with tiagra to a Raleigh RC LTD with Ultegra ... major difference and very happy with the upgrade.

Welcome to the hub. I also started on a RC2000 a yellow and green one. :P upgraded to a Rc6000 and then bought a full carbon team frame. Transferred all components. THe team bike is for sale if interested. pic attached

post-9851-094707000 1284642668.jpg

Welcome to the hub. I also started on a RC2000 a yellow and green one. :P upgraded to a Rc6000 and then bought a full carbon team frame. Transferred all components. THe team bike is for sale if interested. pic attached

This bike is so light, I loaded one into my car this weekend and was suprised by it's weight (I was giving a mate a lift to a ride, I wasn't hijacking anyone ;) )

Raleighs are really under-rated IMO