Decent Mountain biking helmet ?

lloydkayak

My helmet is in desperate need of an upgrade... bought mine when I was a poor student and thought to ask here about good deals, on good helmets that may actually keep a rider safe!

I don't want top of the range but I do want something that is safe and looks cool B)

Any advice?

I'm with Vinny. Rudy is the way to go. The actually have a special where you can buy a pair of sunglasses and get the helmet and a set of lenses for free

The Rudy special is tip top.... plus you get to wear a helmet named after our prez, which also means it's shower safe!

If that's not to your likeing the Fox Flux and Bell Slant are also bloody nice lids for the price (approx R800)

Just don't be conned into thinking more expensive is a better helmet, may be cooler and lighter but, NO helmet is designed or made to completely stop your head from being scrambled eggs on the road or trail. They are just designed to lesson any impact.

But a Helmet costing about R600 up should be fine

Try Rudy Project - Zuma or Sterling - very well priced currently

I don't think I'll ever be able to wear something called "Zuma" :P

Is this special through any retailer or retailer specific?? Sounds awesome

It is through any Rudy Projects dealer. In PTA, Bruce Reyneke Cycles. Check on www.asgsport.co.za for dealers

I would go for a Bell Slant ... you also have not given a budget so this is a little open topic.

The ratchet system works well and the venting is rather good. All things considered you are doing MTB rides and you will fall ... and there will be a time when you brake a helmet ... so the "only pay 30% of a new helmet" policy that Bell have is rather handy. Just keep your slip and bring in your broken helmet.

I have had to make use of this service and they are true to their word.

H

Have to say, I own the Fox Flux and Bell Slant and I echoe Hairy's post, the Bell Slant is a super deal.

Extremely comfy, the dial adjustment on the rear is fool proof and style wise for the price it's brilliant.

Got mine at Mike's Bikes in Greenside.