Mongoose Boot'r opinions?

Follie

I havent ridden one, but lotsa top riders use it (STUND team, SA national champ Pottie et al). THey cant be be wrong can they?

But as with many things, the handling might not suit your personal style. But in general, as a DH bike, zero wrong with it.

Guest Jarryd Haley

Hi Follie.

I had a Bootr team for this past race season. The bike peddals extremly well, thanks to the Freedrive platform. This is also the largest flaw of the bike, as the freedrive is essentially a single pivot with a floating BB. When the rear suspension is active,the BB has a tendancy to move backwards. This not only feels strange, but also causes ones feet to slowly creep forward on the pedals. The geometry however is spot on and very well suited to the majority of DH tracks. The bike is also great value for money in terms of the specs regardless of if you go for the team or normal bootr.

Hope this is helpfull.

Pm me if you want any more info.

Cheers,

Jarryd.

Thanks for the response guys. Thats really helpfull.

See I looked at getting a Gambler or the boot'r. So I am just asking opinions from the guys who know. What do you guys think of the Gambler? What do you guys ride?

Hi Follie.

I had a Bootr team for this past race season. The bike peddals extremly well, thanks to the Freedrive platform. This is also the largest flaw of the bike, as the freedrive is essentially a single pivot with a floating BB. When the rear suspension is active,the BB has a tendancy to move backwards. This not only feels strange, but also causes ones feet to slowly creep forward on the pedals. The geometry however is spot on and very well suited to the majority of DH tracks. The bike is also great value for money in terms of the specs regardless of if you go for the team or normal bootr.

Hope this is helpfull.

Pm me if you want any more info.

Cheers,

Jarryd.

I guess riding clips would sort out the problem then ; )

Guest Jarryd Haley

I guess riding clips would sort out the problem then ; )

It sorts that problem out,but who wants clips on a DH bike anyway? HAHA- I usedto race Clips, then changed back to flats- sooo much fun! Fast and loose! Still doesnt change the problem that the design is ultimately flawed and therefore not really appropriate for its intended use B) ... To quote bikeradar:"peddals great, but rubbish as a DH bike".

I dont really agree that its rubbish- just not ideal...

Still thoroughly enjoyed mine though!

It sorts that problem out,but who wants clips on a DH bike anyway? HAHA- I usedto race Clips, then changed back to flats- sooo much fun! Fast and loose! Still doesnt change the problem that the design is ultimately flawed and therefore not really appropriate for its intended use B) ... To quote bikeradar:"peddals great, but rubbish as a DH bike".

I dont really agree that its rubbish- just not ideal...

Still thoroughly enjoyed mine though!

Youre right, Flats are loads of fun.. but Im not sure if they are really faster on "raceday" but who cares right. why get air if you cant take your feet off!

Guest Jarryd Haley

Youre right, Flats are loads of fun.. but Im not sure if they are really faster on "raceday" but who cares right. why get air if you cant take your feet off!

Guess we should ask Sam what he thinks is faster... For me, it wasnt about the air, but rather the corners- nothing like having our foot out with rear drifting round on a flat loose corner! now im just amped to go ride!!

I think the clip-in pedals is something to get used to on a downhill. It would scare me a little but hey its not like downhill is not scary anyway you look at it. Very interesting though. I guess its all about trying and see what works for you and also the particular bike you ride. I know Romaniuk also rides his for freeriding. His pretty solid.

very true. it's very subjective. Those guys from STUND (romaniuk etc) are hardcore pros pulling massive stunts, and no slipped pedals. Not dissing rideabike as FR is somewhat different from DH in some respects, but if they can go that big and badass, then whatever someone says negative about the frame, it's all subjective. That said, Mongoose doesnt feature on the WC circuit either. Poh tay toe, pah tah toe..

even the bigger brand names have percularities some riders who truly piss on, yet others would luv. Some bikes are poppy, others are just meant to plough.

If the goose is well within your budget, then you have a more than capable machine to start off with. Then when funds, personal preference and skills demand otherwise, change your frame. GL HF!! :D

At the end of the day it's not the bike you chose to ride hills with, it's your attitude to go as fast and with as much fun as possible down those hills that matters! Bike tech changes all the time, if you want to ride downhills, find a bike that fits your budget, that is your size and make the most of it.

If you were sponsored and racing and so good you couldnt get any better, and every gram, and split second counted then you need a bike that can win by one thousandth of a second...

For every one else, i think we are just happy to get to the bottom! and walk back up again!!

very true. it's very subjective. Those guys from STUND (romaniuk etc) are hardcore pros pulling massive stunts, and no slipped pedals. Not dissing rideabike as FR is somewhat different from DH in some respects, but if they can go that big and badass, then whatever someone says negative about the frame, it's all subjective. That said, Mongoose doesnt feature on the WC circuit either. Poh tay toe, pah tah toe..

even the bigger brand names have percularities some riders who truly piss on, yet others would luv. Some bikes are poppy, others are just meant to plough.

If the goose is well within your budget, then you have a more than capable machine to start off with. Then when funds, personal preference and skills demand otherwise, change your frame. GL HF!! :D

Yes I have a lot of respect with those riders. I lived in the states and rode some of the big mtnb parks. Its scary when you stand on the top of those jumps they don't even think twice about flying down them. Its looks hardcore on the tv but when you are there is seems purerly insane.

What do you think of the Gambler? I like it but as you say its all subjective.

At the end of the day it's not the bike you chose to ride hills with, it's your attitude to go as fast and with as much fun as possible down those hills that matters! Bike tech changes all the time, if you want to ride downhills, find a bike that fits your budget, that is your size and make the most of it.

If you were sponsored and racing and so good you couldnt get any better, and every gram, and split second counted then you need a bike that can win by one thousandth of a second...

For every one else, i think we are just happy to get to the bottom! and walk back up again!!

Very true. I am sponsored in another sport very different from downhill. But excactly like you say, I get my behind kicked by the "non-pros" a lot. They often have mid range equipment but hey they know how to use it.