Buying a used bike and changing the frame

lloydkayak

Are there limitations when moving ALL components to a different sized frame?

Example I buy a brilliantly specced used bike, medium frame for a real deal and then move everything off that frame to an exisiting XL frame or buy a new frame... are there limitations? Apart from length of steerer on the suspension fork?

Any brake problems, wheel/tyre problems?

Cables and brake housing can be too short. Also look are diameter of seatpost and if the front derailler will fit.

There are a number of issues that could be encountered if you wish to change brand.

It starts with the fork, check the travel matches the frame, and the steerer tube is not cut too short for your use.

Check the crankset, GXP, BB30 etc.

Then check the front derailure mech, its the same type or suitable for use on the new frame.

The other two that may catch you out is seat tube diameter, Your brake hoses may also need to be extended to match the new frame.

The rest "should" just bolt back on.

Probably not a normal problem but check the headset - I bought a frame with a 1.5" tube and now I have to buy a reducer headset to use the old normal 1/1.8" steerer in it - an extra R500+ The rest seem fine on my build over.