tyre rotation

davetapson

I'm running bontrager revolt super x's.  They're not the most aggressive tyres, but I do more tar than I'd like so suit me. 

What I always wonder is should I put the front tyre on 'the wrong way around'?  If best traction for the rear wheel is by having the 'arrow' shape of the tread facing backwards, surely for best braking (which needs traction in the opposite direction of the rearwheel) the tread should be in the reverse direction to that of the rear wheel.

Has anyone tried...? 

The front wheel is usually Designed for steering. On some tires they have guides on the side which tell you which way is the best for a certain discipline eg down hill, xc

I used to run a set of Maxxis "something or the other' like that and IMHO yes arrow shaped thread facing forward on the front provided better cornering and the opposite way on the rear provided better forward traction Smile ps. welcome to the hub

Having the thread facing the wrong way will only slow you down by increasing resistance and therefor make you slower!  Braking is not assisted by your tyre tread on solid surfaces as more contact means better braking.  That might sound strange and you might find it strange that slick tyres are better at braking on solid surfaces than treaded ones!!!  Remember that when you brake you are trying to stop the wheel and yourmomentum by applying force to the rims which in turn apply an equal force to you wheel to road contact area (a very small spot).  If you add a tread to the tyre you are actually reducing the contact area and therefore decreasing braking performance (or rather increasing the likelyhood of skidding).  Look at Grand Prix cars; they have no tyre tread as it gives better grip.

Now if you are talking gravel and sand, completely different forces come into play...

This is based on your "but I do more tar than I'd like so suit me. " So ignore the above for mtb!
Willehond2007-09-06 12:51:10