Fastest Argus time on Mtb

Trek_Fan

Grootlem, respect. I did a 3h35 on my 2003 Trek 4500, Conti Town and Country tyres... And a wheelie from the start to the first big turn, and again on Chappies... Got the pest pic of me on a bike ever right there on top of Chappies!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2h38m 40 sec in 1991 on 1.75 inch conti slicks

I know im wiping the cobwebs off this topic, but how the hell did you manage that?

• 1 year later...

Who did the argus on their mtb with mtb tyres on ? I did it with my anthem x1 29er. Time 3:45.. Was tough!

I had a bilateral sympatectomy a couple of years back, so I can't sweat from my nipple-line upwards. (Stupidest op anybody could ever go and do)

Started @ 09:52 yesterday with my 16kg MTB, slicks and finished in 06:20.

Toughest 6 hours of my life. I managed 05:13 last year on the same bike, full knobblies.

I'm a jogger and fairly fit, but the 6 hours on a seat killed me. What is worse is that I wanted to refill my water at the stop on Smitswinkel, and they were out of water.

I asked at every water point after that, and could only get water again at the "Sportsman's warehouse" stop just before chappies. At one point I overheated so much I decided to start pouring Coke over myself :)

All in all I lost 6kgs yesterday, didn't pee once, and drank about 7.5litres of fluid during the race, so my back was basically sweating like a river. (Meant I sweated about 13litres in total)

I won't ever be as stupid as to not do seeding events for the Argus, as it's pointless riding in such heat, with so many people during the heat of day.

PS - while going up chappies, the entire left third of the road was full of people sitting around.

The rest of the road was walking, so everybody had to walk.

Regardless of the above, I decided I want to get into cycling a bit more, and want to do a couple of 40-90km rides, just looking around where I could find these around CT.

Edited by Re83L

damn wil net se hat off to the girls on their mtb's wif the knobblies! daa was heelwat van hulle gister, ma het hulle laas sondag se long route gedoen..is the question??

my boude en bene was sommer seer al hier van die 30ste km af na laas sondag se pyn en lyding! :lol: :lol:

You are my new god... seriously, that's ridiculously impressive. I honestly don't know how you average 39kph on a mountain bike. I run out of gears??

Put a compact road crank on it.......but a 44X11 should give you about 45km/h @ around 90rpm.

I had a bilateral sympatectomy a couple of years back, so I can't sweat from my nipple-line upwards. (Stupidest op anybody could ever go and do)

Toughest 6 hours of my life. I managed 05:13 last year on the same bike, full knobblies.

I'm a jogger and fairly fit, but the 6 hours on a seat killed me. What is worse is that I wanted to refill my water at the stop on Smitswinkel, and they were out of water.

I asked at every water point after that, and could only get water again at the "Sportsman's warehouse" stop just before chappies. At one point I overheated so much I decided to start pouring Coke over myself :)

All in all I lost 6kgs yesterday, didn't pee once, and drank about 7.5litres of fluid during the race, so my back was basically sweating like a river.

I won't ever be as stupid as to not do seeding events for the Argus, as it's pointless riding in such heat, with so many people during the heat of day.

PS - while going up chappies, the entire left third of the road was full of people sitting around.

Regardless of the above, I decided I want to get into cycling a bit more, and want to do a couple of 40-90km rides, just looking around where I could find these around CT.

Just a couple of routes, thats assuming you want to MTB,

40km+ ride tygerberg hill magic,ntida,hillcrest,contermans (Durbanville)

45km Botellary hills (Brackenfell Bottelary road)

40-60km jonkershoek (stellenbosch)

70-90km eselfonteing (ceres)

30km+- welvanpas (wellington)

oakvalley (Grabouw)

lebanon (Grabouw)

Actually im more interested in the hubbers MTB+Knobbly times than pro's and ex pro's.

Who did the argus on their mtb with mtb tyres on ? I did it with my anthem x1 29er. Time 3:45.. Was tough!

Respect!! What time did you start? My wife and I started at 09h24 (PC) in her first Argus (and road race for that matter). She didn't enjoy / couldn't maintain being in the bunches and going down Blue Route she instructed me that we were MTB'ers and she wasn't going to "slip" anybody. So we did it on knoblies, without riding slip in any bunches, and in the heat of the day. Think we did it in 05h50, but racetec has been down all morning. None the less, we really enjoyed it, except for the panic at one or two stations where they started running out of water. The trafiic jam at the top of Chappies was also hectic with people lying in the gutter and any shade they could find. Also, had to laugh as all the walkers were taking the shade side up Chappies, and some guys still shouting "keep left!". Guess which side they passed?

Just a couple of routes, thats assuming you want to MTB,

40km+ ride tygerberg hill magic,ntida,hillcrest,contermans (Durbanville)

45km Botellary hills (Brackenfell Bottelary road)

40-60km jonkershoek (stellenbosch)

70-90km eselfonteing (ceres)

30km+- welvanpas (wellington)

oakvalley (Grabouw)

lebanon (Grabouw)

Thanks! My fiance's parents' house is about 400m from the entrance to Majik forest.

I'll spend some time riding the hills for practice. But I have to say I like open road as well, even if it's on a MTB. There's just that much less focus required, and you get to enjoy the scenery.

I'm looking for events to enter so I can prepare and get race-fit as well.

Maybe you should amend your post to be "fastest and slowest" time. In which case I'm currently first! (from the "slowest" side)

Edited by Re83L

I did a 4:20 on a Giant Boulder (approx 16kg's) with the standard issue game-special tyres on in 2007. Did the race in memory of a friend with his number on my back (he passed away shortly before the Argus, so I rode "illegally"). I never felt like I was pushing too hard and simply enjoyed the ride. It felt great starting in the second last group and passing so many roadies that day.

All in all I lost 6kgs yesterday, didn't pee once, and drank about 7.5litres of fluid during the race, so my back was basically sweating like a river. (Meant I sweated about 13litres in total)

Search for the 'Durbanville area roadies' - quite a few of them ride MTB as well (to my disgust seeing that it is a roadie thread). post a note there and see who is about.

Look around on the group rides topic - you will find loads of rides that happen on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

Hey Hendrik jy moet darem ook aandui of jou gearing standaard mtb was, ek kan ook onthou die wen tyd was n vinnige 1 daai jaar.

Grootlem holds the record

Never. I'll take any odds that titus would have been quicker.