High Pressure hose - cleaning a MTB

RodTi

Yello all,

Quick one: Have a proper high pressure hose at home, only for the evening.

Rented from Coastal Hire, used to remove paint around the house.

Question: If I cover up the fork, should I have a quick go on my MTB?

It's a Ti frame, with no decals. But it has years of mud on it.

What about the BB area - XT "see-thru" BB and Hollowtech cranks?

Wheel hubs?

Any thoughts?

Don't do it.

Your high-pressure hose shouldn't be brought anywhere near moving parts (fork, hubs, BB, Shifters, etc), so it's only really worthwhile using it on your frame. The problem is, it's not going to do any better job at cleaning your frame than a bucket and soap will, and it's only marginally quicker... So in the end it creates more potential for trouble than the little benefit you'll get.

If you're very careful and make sure to direct the spray so that it doesn't go into any of the bearings, it should be OK. Otherwise go completely wild and then regrease everything once it's properly dry.

Thanks guys... I have already paused to re-assess my short term needs for "shooting" water at something, as against the continued welfare of my bike!...

Yello all,

Wheel hubs?

Any thoughts?

Rather concentrate on removing the paint and be carefull not remove too much plaster!!!!!!!!!

We tried to use a machine like that on the Ben Schoeman N1 when the concrete went on in 1985 to give the road a exposed aggregate finish....... they demonstrated it to me on an old piece of railway line...... cut trough it in seconds..... awesome. The guy showed me a picture of a worker who cut a scoop out of his steel toe cap safety boot...... with two of his neatly cut off toes inside!!!!!!!

Ya still want to wash your bike....mmmmmm????????

Rather concentrate on removing the paint and be carefull not remove too much plaster!!!!!!!!!

We tried to use a machine like that on the Ben Schoeman N1 when the concrete went on in 1985 to give the road a exposed aggregate finish....... they demonstrated it to me on an old piece of railway line...... cut trough it in seconds..... awesome. The guy showed me a picture of a worker who cut a scoop out of his steel toe cap safety boot...... with two of his neatly cut off toes inside!!!!!!!

Ya still want to wash your bike....mmmmmm????????

That would be a mobile waterjet cutter as opposed to a high pressure cleaner? I stand to be corrected?

Yeah, there are very many different types of those cleaners, all rated at different pressure.

I stand corrected, but my dad and I used one a WHILE ago that was rated to 180 BAR...Now that thing was stupid...might cut your frame if held too close.

But I see you can pick up "cheapies" at Game/Makro/etc that wont be nearly as high pressure...

The velocity of the water as it leaves the nozzle however appears to drop off exponentially, so enev a very high pressure one can be used...but from further away of course biggrin.gif

Moral of the story...I say use it, but VERY carefully and test it first on something of similar hardness to your bike tongue.gif

i have one of those less expensive black and decker units. Totally harmless as long as you exercise some sensibility: no highly focussed jet anywhere near the seals (shock, fork, BB). The max pressure is much lower than say the pricier Karcher units (i've guinea-pigged my foot and the worst was a rather sharp stinging. I didnt leave it there for long to find out just how elastic and resilient my skin is... )

I've since had a look at what the wall looks like, where the machine was used.

Holy moses.

Let's just say, Ti or not - I ain't going near my bike with it! :)

Thanks for the input Hubbers!

I run our water jet cutting machines at 4 bar - that goes through 50MM of mild steel like in about 2 mins just to give you an idea ;)

Yello all,

Wheel hubs?

Any thoughts?

I bought a high pressure cleaner specifically for cleaning my bike about a year ago and it works like magic! The nossle is adjustable, so I set it so that it doesn't hurt when directed at my feet when cleaning the bb, forks, suspension pivots etc. When cleaning the wheels / frame / chain / drivetrain I adjust it a bit more agressive. It cleans the chain / sprockets / deraileurs exceptionally well and once you get the hang of it, it's really quick.

Also works great for cleaning muddy shoes and camelbacks after rides!

Don't know why people preach not to use it. After a year and I guess 100 washes, my bike is better than ever!

I've got a 1.5kW model, so its not nearly "steel cutting" strong.

I bought a high pressure cleaner specifically for cleaning my bike about a year ago and it works like magic! The nossle is adjustable, so I set it so that it doesn't hurt when directed at my feet when cleaning the bb, forks, suspension pivots etc. When cleaning the wheels / frame / chain / drivetrain I adjust it a bit more agressive. It cleans the chain / sprockets / deraileurs exceptionally well and once you get the hang of it, it's really quick.

Also works great for cleaning muddy shoes and camelbacks after rides!

Don't know why people preach not to use it. After a year and I guess 100 washes, my bike is better than ever!

I've got a 1.5kW model, so its not nearly "steel cutting" strong.

I only used the steel cutting analogy to demonstrate. I used something like yours on the Tnadem MTB while we lived in Mozambique. It gradually removed the grease form my headset bearings and eventually destroying it.

Invest in a naaice bucket, a Finishline brush set, a BBB clamshell chain cleaner, some Kleen Green, Sunlight Liquid and liquid Wax Car Wash and with a little more effort and a slow running hosepipe to rinse with you will also get a sparkling bike.

If you want to treat the bike use some Mr Min.... not the perfumed one or else your bike will smell like a pansy's bike!!!!!!...... wipe it on and the mud will slide off for a while when you ride and make the cleaning so much easier next time.