XT freewheel body damage after 120 k's use

KevinG

I recently purchased Shimano XT wheelset from CRC. I used them maybe four times and had my bike serviced for Karoo2Coast. The bike shop informs me the freewheel body needs to be replaced. Apparently the bearings are gone. After about 120k's of riding. Surely these things last a bit longer than that? They say the damage could be caused from cleaning the bike. I don't use high pressure to clean, so how am I supposed to clean the bike?

Also no warranty from Shimano 'cause I bought through CRC. I have to try claim from CRC?

Is this a common problem with Shimano hubs?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it's a common problem with Shimano hubs else no one would be buying them :huh:

It might however be a common problem with 'warranteeing' (is that a word) kit bought from CRC ;)

That's why I bought them. Good name and all. So why did my freewheel body fail? That's what I gotta figure so it doesn't happen again.

Could be a number of things...

#1. your LBS might have an XT freehub body that they can't get rid of or some sour grapes...

#2. could be the way you clean your bike... High pressure/solvent use/ not rinsing properly.

#3. a dud freehub...

#4. the service before K2C was bodged...

How do you clean your bike?

Surely it's still cheaper to fix than the R1500 odd you saved by buying from CRC? When I had XT's I was told by a lbs to check the hubs every 3 months as preventative maintenance. It would be interesting to know if they would have been done under warranty anyway if they were purchased locally. So many variables that could have led to the failure. That's why I still buy from CRC, if there is a huge difference in price, that is.

Thats very strange that the freehub didnt last because i've been ridding my xt wheels for about 20000kms and they still great,been serviced once,had the bearings replaced once and still have the same freehub

I use a solvent and then rinse with normal garden tap.

It would be interesting to see what JB has to say, but my money is on the solvent getting to the grease. But even then I'd be a little surprised that the bearings went within 120km...

My girlfriends XT freewheel has done about 1000km and going string. I use clean green and a hose. definately sounds like something was either wrong with the hub. Have you looked at it yet from the shop, might not even be broken :-)

Had the same issue on my 29er XT wheels. The freehub was faulty which caused the bearings to seize. This was after about 750km's of riding though. New freehub was fitted and it currently running smoothly.

If you still have your receipt from CRC you can claim from Shimano. I didn't want to go through the hassle so just put on a new freehub.

Nah it has to be a dud, even if you remove the grease the damange should be negligable after 120km.

Do a search on Google. There a many XT freebody issues reported on various sites and forums. I'm not sure if the issue was with a particular generation of wheel because mine has been trouble free(so far).

It sounds dud to me.

I had an XT hub crack along the bearing race after a few rides.

Luckily it was local and got replaced.

See my thread here

eish, I'm not being filled with excitement by this topic... I bought my XTs from CRC about 2 months ago. Haven't been out on the MTB much though because of dodging colds and training for road races. I'd say my XTs have about 150km on them now... :mellow:

I tend to agree that it could be dud. Unfortunately I am doing K2C this weekend and they cannot get a new one in time, so I am going to regrease and use it. LBS says it should be ok for K2C. Will replace and inspect it next week. Waiting for a reply on warranty issue from CRC.

It would be interesting to see what JB has to say, but my money is on the solvent getting to the grease. But even then I'd be a little surprised that the bearings went within 120km...

He thinks it is very unusual and would like to inspect the freehub before deciding that the bearings are indeed shot.