Is my kungfu flawed???

lloydkayak

While I agree with the idea of simply trading in my current Merida and going for a complete new ride with higher spec... I came across an interesting point.

I simply want an entry level hard tail with hydraulic disc brakes and a semi decent preloadable fork. While it may not make sense to buy the required components new (wheel set, disc set and fork), there seems to be a good amount of used components available.

Say

R750 for disc compatible wheel set

R1000 for hydraulic disc brakes

R2000 for a nice-ish air fork

Call it R4000 for a nice upgrade to an entry level bike

In my mind you looking at double that for a simliar specced 2010 model???

Is my kungfu flawed???

New Karate kid was v cool actually :)

Brought back memories...

Just a pity he now does Kung Fu and not Karate...so it should be called the Kung Fu Kid :D

Besides, they originated in different countries I believe (karate and kung fu that is).

Hi Lloyd, nice blunt in your avatar. Wave looks like Nile special?

I think your kung fu is spot on.

The other thing about building up a bike and upgrading parts is you get a sense of being more into your steed. I am much more sentimental about a bike that I upgraded than those I bought and sold. You also learn how components work and helps with servicing it yourself.

My 2c worth. :D

While I agree with the idea of simply trading in my current Merida and going for a complete new ride with higher spec... I came across an interesting point.

I simply want an entry level hard tail with hydraulic disc brakes and a semi decent preloadable fork. While it may not make sense to buy the required components new (wheel set, disc set and fork), there seems to be a good amount of used components available.

Say

R750 for disc compatible wheel set

R1000 for hydraulic disc brakes

R2000 for a nice-ish air fork

Call it R4000 for a nice upgrade to an entry level bike

In my mind you looking at double that for a simliar specced 2010 model???

Is my kungfu flawed???

New Karate kid was v cool actually :)

Brought back memories...

Just a pity he now does Kung Fu and not Karate...so it should be called the Kung Fu Kid :D

Besides, they originated in different countries I believe (karate and kung fu that is).

How does it bring back memories?Its not even about karate(they should have just made it its own movie :unsure:), if you want memories watch the original - Why mess with the original moveies anyhow, Hollywood has this weird obsession with it, 9 out of 10 times the original will always be better even if it seems cheesy today.

I refuse to watch anything with Will Smith in it, let alone his son.

It is indeed the Nile Special... But unfortunately a cool pic that I stole off a mate :( not quite Nile Special ready yet... but soon.

It will all depend on what I can find available. I really am not in a rush but was looking for some opinions from the clued up hubbers.

Will keep looking I guess.

I am also in the process of getting myself clued up on DIY repairs and tweaking. Not because of the money but I enjoy it.

"Warning: Yet another post about to be placed from the rookie"