What to upgrade?

Zaskar09

Hi guys,

I'm new here and newish to mtb'ing in general. I bought a GT Zaskar Elite last year (great bike btw but what would I know, it's my first proper mtb). I've saved a bit of money and would like to upgrade something, nothing is really broken, I just like to buy stuff for my bike :). What would make the most difference? Obviously, if I upgrade something I actually want it to be an upgrade.

My current setup:

FRAME

GT NEW design hydroformed Kinesis Superlight custom tube-set Machined Head tube, disc compatible

FORK

Rock Shox Tora, 100mm of travel, 7050 al steerer, Air sprung with rebound damping and motion control

CRANKSET

Shimano Nine speed Octalink ,

BB

Shimano Octalink

PEDALS

Shimano PDM-520

FRT DER.

Shimano Deore

RR DER

Shimano Deore SLX

SHIFTERS

Shimano nine speed trigger

CASSETTE

SRAM 9-speed, 11-32

CHAIN

Shimano Nine Speed

WHEELSET

WTB Speed Disc XC with single eyelets

TIRES

Front/Rear 26"x 2.0 Kenda Karma 120 TPI with kevlar bead

HUBS

Shimano Deore Disc

BRAKES

Avid Juicy 3

HANDLEBAR

Ritchey Pro butted 2014 alum, Flat, 31.8 mm clamp, 680 mm width,

STEM

Ritchey 6061 cold forged stem, with 6 degree rise, and 4 bolt face plate

GRIPS

GT Lock Down

HEADSET

FSA Integrated, sealed angular contact bearing

SADDLE

WTB Rocket V Comp with CrMo rail and Kevlar shoulders

SEAT POST

Ritchey 31.6mm 3 D forged

Thanks guys (and gals), advice would be appreciated!

I thought Rock Shock Tora is a coil spring oil fork but none the less would strt with that and change to air fork ie Fox F32 RL 100 or Rock Shock Reba/Sid 100mm

First off, you're in luck that the Zaskar is a great frame to work around as far as upgrades are concerned. The rest of your stuff is lower-spec than the frame, so it's actually worthwhile upgrading...

I'd say look at stuff in this order:

Big-ticket:

1) Fork - consider something like a Recon (the Race is great if you get it with pop-lock remote lock-out). If you want to take it another step up, consider a Reba.

2) Wheelset - entry-level Mavic, say the CrossRides would do fine. Anything more would be quite pricey at this stage...

3) Crankset - get a hollowtech setup, SLX would be quite a bit lighter.

Smaller-ticket:

1) Shifters and rear derailleur - SLX Shifters and XT derailleur, you'll notice it to be quite a bit crisper.

2) A top-end cable set, or continuous cable housing - You won't believe how much smoother your shifting will be with XTR cables, and it'll only cost you around R300.

2) A nicer (lighter) seat - Look at the Prologo range for example.

Hope that helps!

I thought Rock Shock Tora is a coil spring oil fork but none the less would strt with that and change to air fork ie Fox F32 RL 100 or Rock Shock Reba/Sid 100mm

Sorry, it's the Tora SL, definately air. My link

post-18337-047566700 1284667165.jpg

If money is not a problem SID XX world cup at 1.4 kg...not surewhat the cost of one of these are.

:) Isn't money always a problem? Let's put it this way, what upgrade would cost the least but would make the biggest difference?

The whole 20/80 principle thingy

:) Isn't money always a problem? Let's put it this way, what upgrade would cost the least but would make the biggest difference?

The whole 20/80 principle thingy

Then it is the middle way Reba/Fox F32. Personally I like the fox more as the lock out works much easier on the fox ie very light to turn compared to the Rock Shox Tora I had. The weight difference is huge from the Tora for the price you paying. If possible also go for a QR15 or QR 20 but that means you will have to change wheels or your front hub at the same time.

yeah I had a Tora and put on a second hand fox rl 100 its a different bike you can run at much lower pressure and it is much smoother and plush, another big difference is to lighten your wheels either by lighter rims and/or tubeless, rotational weight cuts make a big difference