Tubeless, please help

Tubeless

Hi

As stated elsewhere I installed a tubeless kit on my mtb. (Stans)

Now as I understood it, as part of this conversion they put sum sludge type stuff in as well.

I have not ridden yet, but noticed tonight, 2 days after installation, that to my dismay the one wheel was loosing air.

Loosening the valve, letting sum air out, I expected some sludgy stuff to escape as well. None did.

Could it be that the stuff has not spread yet?

How would I know if they put the stuff in?

Please help :(

K

Take the wheel off and shake it with the bottom of the tyre near (but not to near ...) your ear and you should hear it 'sloshing' around/

That's how I check if I still have sealant!

I have not ridden yet, but noticed tonight, 2 days after installation, that to my dismay the one wheel was loosing air.

Your probelm is you have not ridden it yet. You need to ride the thing to spread the stuff around and seal it properly.

Shake and spread and test for leaks with soapy water to close all small leaks - there's a video on that technique on the No Tubes website

Without sealant, the tyre could not have inflated at all !!!

A little deflation is quite normal. The beauty of Tubeless is running them a little soft anyway.

You may be tempted to put more sealant in BUT BE WARNED that you must have access to good pump (like a filling station compressor) just in case. With good quality tubeless rims and tyres a good quick pump with a workshop pump can work also a CO2 bomb might work.

If you don't have tubeless tyres it will loose pressure if you don't ride as you need to ride with them for the tyre sealant to seal the small pores a non UST tyre has on its sidewalls

• 2 weeks later...

Help.....

I have heard that putting air into a tubeless tyre could be difficult and you might need a bomb or whatever. This is due to the sludge. I understand this. What bothers me that, after riding with the new tyres for 100+ km's, if I unscrew the valve thingy and push the other thingy in with my finger the air freely escapes.

1. Should this happen if they have indeed put in the sludge?

2. Is it easy for the LBS to check if they have put in the sludge.

Please, thanks.

Help.....

I have heard that putting air into a tubeless tyre could be difficult and you might need a bomb or whatever. This is due to the sludge. I understand this. What bothers me that, after riding with the new tyres for 100+ km's, if I unscrew the valve thingy and push the other thingy in with my finger the air freely escapes.

did you unscrew the valve thingy and pushed the other thingy directly after the 100km ride, or a few hours later?

Help.....

Please, thanks.

Hi there

You pump a tubeless setup with your normal floor pump or even a hand pump. The sealant has no affect on pumping. Sometimes it clogs the valve but a floor pump will open it up quickly. The only time you might need a compressor or bomb is if you put new tyres on and you need the bead to "kick" into the side of the rim.

I do all my tubeless inflation with a floor pump, just remove the valve core, and you can get enough flow to let the bead kick. All my tyres are non UST tyres that I run tubeless.

To answer your questions:

1. If there is sealant in you tyres it will not necessarily come out of the valve when you deflate, especially not when the valve is at the top, and all the sealant is at the bottom.

2. You can check for sealant yourself, all you do is you shake the wheel(as mentioned before) and listen.

The sealant they put in is Stans (as per your first post). Stans is a very watery sealant almost like milk(because it is white), so in order for it to seal all around your tyre the wheel needs to rotate.

2. You can check for sealant yourself, all you do is you shake the wheel(as mentioned before) and listen.

Thanks, and I am then supposed to clearly hear it?

Will go and do it again now. I have done it before and had to use my imagination to make me hear it.

It will sound like water. Remember your whole tyre will probably only have 1.5 scoops of sealant which is less than 100ml?

I wont be pointing fingers, but i know of atleast one shop that I heard them say they put something extra with the Stan's solution to thicken it (for whatever reason...) so that will make it more difficult to hear anything "slouch around". So I've bought my own bottle to do fill-ups myself. Enough to properly hear the slouching and not worry :)