Tygerberg MTB Club Rocks

DMD 1

Hey Guys and Gals

I joined the Tygerberg Club more than a year ago when there were less than 200 members. The club was only active in route development and maintenance in the Majik Forest.

Well one year on the Club membership has grown to 1000 members and almost 65km of routes in the Durbanville area. It is through the huge efforts of Adrian Windsor, James Thornhill-Fischer and Braam that the club was able to develop the new routes. They are constantly negotiating with the various land owners in the area looking new routes and land on which they can add new single track. So far they have developed routes on Natida, Hillcreast, Kliprug, associated routes with Contermans Kloof, Meerendal and the Green corridor linking Contermans into Meerendal.

The best thing about these routes is that they all link up and you have to cross less than 100m of tar in order to ride all the routes. The various routes have all sorts of different enjoyment factors and skill level allowance. The routes are classified as yellow, green or red. Contermans Kloof has a black section in it, I saw a Guy break his helmet in half there. The routes incorporate loads of amazing single track with switch backs that make you think twice. There are lots of cross over A frame bridges, normal bridges, a seesaw and yes guys loads and loads of hills to climb. If you are looking for flat riding go home if you are looking for fun and some pain then enjoy the routes.

Saying this, the routes at Meerendal wine farm make allowance for all skill levels with few climbs and mostly flat single track. The novice rider will not walk away despondent after riding the trails here. There is one route at Meerendal that is for the mountain goats, it takes you to one of the highest points in the area with amazing views from the top and a long flowing single track back down to the red route.

The club uses the funds it generates from the membership fees to pay for new route development and the building of the single track. They have a well trained team of Zimbos that cut the track into the hill side and built berms that Muerant of Dirtopia fame would be proud of. The Club also offers a skills training slow coach ride on Sunday mornings for the newbie’s to MTBing. This is normally held at Meerendal. You can go to the facebook page

Tygerberg MTB FACEBOOK for more info.

The club also host regular Thursday night rides with the local land owner’s permission. These rides are fun but not for the slower riders. Saying this, their motto is, "leave no one behind".

What I have been trying to say with this post is that the Tygerberg MTB club is an awesome group of guys who strive to continually develop the sport and more routes. Check out the clubs website for more info and membership.Club website

Well done guys and thanks for allowing me to ride the awesome trails you have developed.

:D

After reading something like this motivates me even more to start riding MTB, I have been a roadie my whole life and always said no way will you see me on a MTB but I have ordered my first MTB on friday and cannot wait to take it to the bush. I stay a stone throw away from majik forest so hopefully I get to enjoy all the great routes and meet lots of new faces.

After reading something like this motivates me even more to start riding MTB, I have been a roadie my whole life and always said no way will you see me on a MTB but I have ordered my first MTB on friday and cannot wait to take it to the bush. I stay a stone throw away from majik forest so hopefully I get to enjoy all the great routes and meet lots of new faces.

Awesome... you are in for a treat!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Clubs hosting the annual fun ride this weekend. It takes you throught the Tygerberg Hills nature reserve.

Awesome ride and views. See u there ;)