Trails near Salt Rock, KZN

Lucky Luke.

I'm off to Salt Rock in KZN for the long weekend, my first time visiting Natal.. I'm wondering should I be taking the MTB or the road bike. My friend who we're staying with (non-cyclist) has said road, but I'm not convinced there are no trails in the area? Anybody able to help at all? Thanks

Yip Holla all the way, I can recommend the maroon route...proper trail riding with river crossings and awesome singletrack.

Just beware, you can get lost very quickly, try and ride with someone who knows the place

Yip Holla all the way, I can recommend the maroon route...proper trail riding with river crossings and awesome singletrack.

Just beware, you can get lost very quickly, try and ride with someone who knows the place

Really about the getting lost part :huh: , I was hoping to ride there by myself this weekend sometime. :(

Really about the getting lost part :huh: , I was hoping to ride there by myself this weekend sometime. :(

Mackie and myself got lost on the black route, luckily he had his garmin otherwise we would have had a long day in the december sun. Also I am thinking worst case scenario where you are bitten by a snake(lots of mambas in the sugercane fields) and you dont know where the hell you are, or how to get back.

In the same breath it was kinda fun to get lost there cause we had to cross some streams and go through unmarked trails to get back on track. Made us feel like real camel men ;)

Must have is a hydration pack with WATER not juice and some chow.

Those okes down at the coast are really spoilt hey.

It is very difficult to have so many options to ride,the problem is I spend the whole day deciding and forget to actually ride. :P

get up to PMB for real riding...

Where in Maritzburg - Need more trails to explore - I ride a lot by myself though :( Also was thinking somewhere in the midlands.

Where in Maritzburg - Need more trails to explore - I ride a lot by myself though :( Also was thinking somewhere in the midlands.

crack, there are some great trails at Cascades mall (behind the mall) with clear markers. Hilton is just up the road as well. if you ever around and i have time just let me know. we can go for a ride, i'll show you around...

Mackie and myself got lost on the black route, luckily he had his garmin otherwise we would have had a long day in the december sun. Also I am thinking worst case scenario where you are bitten by a snake(lots of mambas in the sugercane fields) and you dont know where the hell you are, or how to get back.

In the same breath it was kinda fun to get lost there cause we had to cross some streams and go through unmarked trails to get back on track. Made us feel like real camel men ;)

Must have is a hydration pack with WATER not juice and some chow.

Those okes down at the coast are really spoilt hey.

i also got lank lost. went for a short 25k ride and another 30ks later i wasn't too impressed...but i did have a good time though!

as for the coast guys being spoilt...maybe with epic beaches, great surf and lots of decent night life. BUT pmb has the best riding possible. too bad it sucks at everything else...

crack, there are some great trails at Cascades mall (behind the mall) with clear markers. Hilton is just up the road as well. if you ever around and i have time just let me know. we can go for a ride, i'll show you around...

That sounds awesome, I'll definatly take you up on your offer very soon ;) Is it free to ride cascades, where would you park, pay etc. :huh:

That sounds awesome, I'll definatly take you up on your offer very soon ;) Is it free to ride cascades, where would you park, pay etc. :huh:

Ah yes, i actually forget that the rest of the country pays for things like riding your bike. no its totally free. and if you wanted we could ride from cascades to the Underburg. no charge. thats what i love about the riding here, you're free to go wherever and (most of the time) no one hassles you!

let me know if you ever come up here.

cheers

ant

Ah yes, i actually forget that the rest of the country pays for things like riding your bike. no its totally free. and if you wanted we could ride from cascades to the Underburg. no charge. thats what i love about the riding here, you're free to go wherever and (most of the time) no one hassles you!

let me know if you ever come up here.

cheers

ant

Sounds great - Free riding, just like I had in UK. Is it safe to ride on your own then, Is it in the forests where they had The World Downhill last year? I'll come soon, just getting my fitness back to where it was before I had bronchitis for two months :(

i also got lank lost. went for a short 25k ride and another 30ks later i wasn't too impressed...but i did have a good time though!

as for the coast guys being spoilt...maybe with epic beaches, great surf and lots of decent night life. BUT pmb has the best riding possible. too bad it sucks at everything else...

I heard you guys in pmb have some awesome riding(drool), especially up Hilton way, still waiting for my brother-in-law aka mackie to take me but alas promises...promises. What do you mean nightlife, I had some of my best jols at saints and crowded back in my student day in pmb.... :P

Oh dont forget, the best bike in the world gets made on your doorstep ;)