MAJOR Price Increases looming for carbon bikes?

EVOBIKES ONLINE STORE

Hi Hubbers

Not sure how many of you have seen this... Guess we are going to pay big $$$ soon!

Price Explosion at Main Carbon Fibre Suppliers FRIEDRICHSHAFEN, Germany - Dealer acceptance of price increases between 5% and 10% overall was one of the big issue’s at Eurobike this year.

However, the carbon segment in the industry will face a much larger price hike as the three main suppliers of carbon fibres, Toray Industries, Inc., Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd., Toho Tenax Co. have increased their price with a huge 66%.

It’s not yet clear how this will affect carbon fibre frames, forks and other bike components for season 2011 but this new price development will surely have a big impact.

Published @ 05-09-2010

haha

generally in large scale manufacturing a price structure would be set for a number of years (normally between 3-5) so even if an increase of 60% is introduced next year, we may (Hopefully!!) have a year or two before it would filter to us. Just got to hope your brand has had a recent pricing renewal at a decent price!!

or...no more plastic bikes for me!

Firstly we are already paying about a 500% markup on carbon, whats anohter 66% besides, everyday you hear of someone cracking another carbon frame that weighs only 100grams lighter than a decent alu frame.

Sorry I just dont see the hype of carbon, even bike manufacturers admit they use carbon to get the lightest frame possible and they dont design with carbon to make use of its superior strength. Hence all the bikes cracking up.

The only carbon bike I am aware off where the manufacturers said bugger it we are going to design a strong bike not one thats lighter than alu is the GT fury downhill bike. And that frames weighs the equivelant of a normal alu frame.

Covie I ride a carbon mountain bike, but not for weight saving, the ride is a lot nicer than aluminium.

Covie I ride a carbon mountain bike, but not for weight saving, the ride is a lot nicer than aluminium.

Just like some alu bikes are a lot nicer than others the same should be just as true for carbon, Some carbon will be nicer than alu and some alu will be nicer than carbon. And thats more to do with geomitry than the material. Well in my humble opinion at least.

And then again a lot of top MTB reviewers share my opinion. Hence a bike like the morewood zula walked away with so many top honors in global magazines, kicking every carbon bikes but out there. (and that for a third of the price of a decent carbon frame) But its personal taste i guess.

Wow!

My bullsh!t-o-meter just went all the way to 11!

How much of the cost of a carbon frame actually comes from the carbon itself? I don't know if it's a significant factor. Often, the major cost for composite structures is the additional design work required.

And then there's the new "carbon tax" too, now that's gonna screw you...

TOO SHARP!!

hahaha going to get a lekker rumour going around our group about this :D

How much of the cost of a carbon frame actually comes from the carbon itself? I don't know if it's a significant factor. Often, the major cost for composite structures is the additional design work required.

It's not just the cost of the carbon. There is currently a world-wide shortage of epoxy resin, which is the resin used in bike manufacture. Suppliers are hiking prices across the board.

Wow!

My bullsh!t-o-meter just went all the way to 11!

Calm your bullsh!t-o-meter down - it has to do with comfort regardless of geometry (which plays a massive role, but lets assume you have that to be a non negotiable). There is actual science to it if you are interested, spend a few minutes quietly in the corner with Google before ridiculing, or ask anyone who rides a hardtail carbon frame if you may take it for a spin

Calm your bullsh!t-o-meter down - it has to do with comfort regardless of geometry (which plays a massive role, but lets assume you have that to be a non negotiable). There is actual science to it if you are interested, spend a few minutes quietly in the corner with Google before ridiculing, or ask anyone who rides a hardtail carbon frame if you may take it for a spin

what I don't understand now is, carbon is more stiffer and more responsive than aluminium. Understandable on the road, but with all the shaking and rattling on a MTB... or is the carbon made to be less stiff to give a smoother ride?