Recommended average heart rate during a race

Wil6

Hey Hubbers.

I got into cycling only a few months ago and is still a rookie when it comes to cycling.So can someone please help me with this question.

What is the recommended average heart rate during a race(percentage wise) that I can follow so that i don't push myself too hard but still do the optimal I can during a race?And what is the maximum percentage of your heart rate that you can push yourself to during a race?

Will appreciate any advise!

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you start seeing a bright light and hear harp music, ease up a bit (but not oo much!) ;)

More seriously, you can go on for ages in that range top zone 3, bottom zone 4. And redline it inbetween when you need to.

But tbh, I hardly ever look at HR (except when climbing) during a race. Clinging on to the group is all that counts if you're looking for a time.

Hey guy

The problem with these general queries is that there are so many variables -

- Genetics

- Fitness

- Form

- Route type / Distance

- The direction the wind is blowing that day (ok kiddding on that one)

But seriously it varies extremely between ppl. My average HR during a race since the day I started cycling hasnt really changed because I ride at the same type of intensity, buy my avgerage speed has just increased.

Rather than aiming for an average I break the race up in three parts

0 - 1/3: keep HR around 80%

1/3 - 2/3: Keep HR around 85%

2/3 to finish: balls to the wall.

Normally this averages out at about 87-88% which is about 175-178bpm.

Wil6, everybody is different. I realise that you have asked your question in %age terms, not absolute numbers. But even so, your question is a bit like asking what average height you should be during a bike race.

Best advice is to not worry about the HR during a race

If you do, you will shackle yourself and not ride according to your potential - ie as hard as possible.

Worry about the HR afterwards and be ready for a surprise ito how hard you can actually push yourself.

Rather use it during training

Wil6, everybody is different. I realise that you have asked your question in %age terms, not absolute numbers. But even so, your question is a bit like asking what average height you should be during a bike race.

Cool thanks for all the advise,just wanted a rough feeling off what other riders are doing and that I don't push myself too hard!but the advise makes sense

Depends how long the race is. I can ride for 2 hours between 85% - 90% (around 170bpm odd) But for longer races I try not to go above 160 (except at the start)

I would also say it depends on the distance of the race. But experience in racing will give you a better answer.

When I'm at the front end of a group, I'll ride at maybe 90% or when chasing someone down. Then I'll take it easier at around 80% for a while to recover.

But in short races you can really push yourself. My last 5km trail run competition was done at 95% average hr.

The main reason I asked is because I did my first race this Saturday,a 80km and afterwords I saw my average heart rate was 92% and was tired as hell but recovered quicky afterwords.Was very surprised because in training I never get that kind of average.But thanks for the advise and see you guys at the Amashovashova(for those who are riding)!

Welcome to cycling. The most important aspect about cycling is you must enjoy the ride or race. There is no point in riding yourself to a stand still. Riding at an average heart rate of 85% should allow you to push harder at times (90%+) and relax down hills. If you are able to download your data, you will be able to see when you pushed hard - try to remember how you felt during the period. On you next ride you can try to improve this, one step at a time. Remebmer that training your heart rate with interval training will allow you to improve your ability to stay with the bunch on the longer hills - have fun

i seem to get an average of 169 to 171 for races around 3 hours, which is 85 to 88% for me,

most of the 'effort' goes into hanging onto the pack and not getting dropped :),

which is why my ave HR is higher than on a clubride or in a spinning class!

The main reason I asked is because I did my first race this Saturday,a 80km and afterwords I saw my average heart rate was 92% and was tired as hell but recovered quicky afterwords.Was very surprised because in training I never get that kind of average.But thanks for the advise and see you guys at the Amashovashova(for those who are riding)!

How did you determine your max? Sounds like it could be higher, but like bikemonster says, it's just a number....

Rather ask what your normalised power should be. That's much more exciting!

As everyone says, too many variables to be accurate but, in my case, I thought I worked 'well' on the 20k Outride on Saturday.

First you need to know what your maximum heart rate is - most people don't! According to the 220 - Age rule, my max. HR should be 220 - 45 i.e. 175 bpm, but I can't get over 170 bpm. But thn I am rather unfit, and overweight!

At the Outsurance Outride (only 20k, but MTB), my max heart rate was 167 bpm (i.e. close to my max.) and my average was 150 bpm - i.e. Average to Max. (for the race) 90%, average to max 88%, and average to (theoretical) max 85%. I felt I worked hard, but felt that, in places, I could have worked harder - but I think that's the sort of range to aim for - i.e. 85 to 90%.